Rain and mud

May 28, 2010
I live in Cache OK, we had a gully washer last night. Just a little back ground, bought house in OCT 09 and this is our first pool. Had no idea that we would ever have this problem. Ground water and dirt flowed into the pool, have no idea the amount. Wife is at home brushing and cleaning as we speak. Should allowing the filter to run and filter the water going to be enough? Is there going to be any hidden issue I need to know about? Equipment Hayward S-240 300lb sand filter, 1.5hp pump.

Once the ground dries out I guess I'll fire up the ALLIS Chalmers D17 and grade away from the pool.

thanks

Your sand filter will handle it. Vacuum and brush to help it along. Stay on top of your chlorine and pH to counteract anything that was in the soil. You may want to run at shock level for a while to avoid any issues with algae.

You want to get all the dirt out as soon as practical. Depending on how much there is, you can probably get it all out by vacuuming and/or brushing

Yes, run the filter. Expect to need to clean/backwash the filter extra times. Also, add some extra chlorine above what you would normally use.

Unless fertilizer was applied recently there shouldn't be any unusual problems. Just pay a little extra attention to the FC level for a day or two and get the dirt out.

I have vacuumed the pool and was able to get most of the dirt and mud out of the pool. However while doing this it stirred up some of the dirt, hopefully it filter will get the rest out. I will have too repet the process again tonight.

I took the tractor and graded down and away a little more from the pool.

Glad you got it taken care of. I'm doing some extra cleaning on mine from a storm that blew/washed some dirt from new landscaping into the pool after it killed our power so the pump was off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.