5 leg spider gasket in place of 6 leg

Kes

Apr 24, 2010
Worcester UK
I ordered a multiport spider gasket some time ago and now's the time to replace it. I've opened the multiport and the old and terminally damaged spider gasket has six spokes. The new gasket has five, but otherwise appears to be the same dimensionally.

The valve has, of course, six sectors. One is blank (the 'Off' position) and the two adjacent to the filter are siamesed, so that either can be used. How should I fit the gasket, with the missing spoke on one side of the blank section, or in the centre of the two siamesed sectors? My feelings are disposed towards fitting the missing spoke over the siamesed sectors.

Please don't tell me to get the correct gasket, it took over a week to order this one, so it has to be used.

Actually the spoke in the multiport valve that divides the siamesed sectors is like a little bridge, and it has part cuts through the ends, as if it could be knocked out if one so wished. Hmm, I'm convincing myself that this is the place.

Additionally, what's the latest opinion on glueing the gasket? Silicone, super, other or none?

Thanks.

I went for spanning the siamese ports, works like a charm. Well, I did fit the lever on the wrong way round, so everything was in reverse, but all remedied now.

I was very reluctant to order a six-spoke gasket. Apart from all Midas gaskets apparently being 5-spoke anyway, they range from 30 gbp to 45 gbp (around 40 to 75 usd) for a little elastomer gasket, which shows the avariciousness of pool suppliers. Still, if the new gasket lasts as long as the old one I'll be due for a refit around 2040.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.