Solar pills, anyone?

cinnay

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I am just finishing up switching my baqua pool to chlorine, so we're throwing out our old solar cover and starting fresh.

In the meantime, I bought an item called a "Solar Pill," It's a little ball that floats in the skimmer and slowly releases a chemical that will help in holding the water temperature. I used one a few years back in conjunction with my solar cover to help maintain the temperature during the day.. and it seemed to do a decent job. We're going to try using it for a few weeks before deciding if we want to get a new solar cover.

I'm wondering if there are any chemicals out there similar to the stuff that's in the Solar Pill?

There are several products that work on the same principals as the Solar Pill, but none of them are very effective. Some people report getting a degree or two, but most people notice no benefit at all from the chemical based "solar blankets". They work by forming a thin layer on the top of the water the prevents evaporation. However, even a tiny amount of wind will disrupt the surface layer and allow evaporation anyway.

Maybe I am deluding myself by using them. It is hard with weather variability etc to know if they are making any (much difference). A controlled experiment with two indentical pools side by side would be great.

Previously I had used HeatSavr - which did seem to give some benefit for me. The manufacturer of HearSavr has some data on effectiveness on there web site here http://www.liquidpoolcovers.com/effectiveness.html. When I used it I bought the liquid - the fish (both versions) never seemed to deliver the liquid correctly.

In my case the pool is in a sheltered location and I don't run the pump at night (I have solar panels) - so the water surface is not really disturbed by wind or ripples. Anyone know if the SolarPills use the same liquid as HeatSavr?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.