blind faith and this forum?

The chlorinated cyanurates (e.g. Trichlor and Dichlor) first made their appearance in sanitizing compounds in 1958 and the use of cyanuric acid in pools was also introduced at that time. These products didn't become more widespread for use in pools until the early 1960's and prior to that time people mostly used chlorinating liquid (or bleach) in residential pools or chlorine gas in commercial/public pools (today, chlorine gas is not used very much).

I absolutely love this forum and all the people associated with it, old and new! I am on this forum day and night. Reading, and learning. Re-reading and learning. I've told everyone I know with a pool about it and even some that don't have a pool. I am paying it forward, or trying to. Last year, I fought and battled with a pool store and a green pool. I found this sight and this year the only battle I have is trekking the bleach from the front garage to the pool area! God bless you all! Thanks to everyone for their testimony! Tried and true experience beats the behind the counter worker anyday!

Now, where is the troublefreeauto website? or the troublefreegardening website?

Isaac-1 said:
As to the question of is the BBB method old or new, I can tell you my step father had the first residential swimming pool in our town of about 10,000 people it was built in about 1961. He originally used bleach for chlorine and muriatic acid, baking soda, etc, because there were no pool stores at the time.

Ike

I have a distinct memory of my older sister pouring in 2 jugs of clorox into her pool in 1988.

The late 1970's and 1980's were prime time for backyard pools in my part of the country, it seemed like every time you turned around someone was putting a pool in, every town had one or more pool builder / pool store, and we were well on the way to having fancy "computer" printout dosing guides.

Ike

duraleigh said:
Thinkly, this is the second or third time you have posted your advocacy of stabilized chlorine. I'm not sure I understand your motivation but it's gonna' be difficult for you to find many recruits here.

What's so hard to understand? It's simple. For me, I find it easier to put a few 1" pucks in my chlorinator every week or so, than I do to lug chlorox jugs from the grocery, to the garage, then to the pool every day or so. I think the confusion is over the word "troublefree."

I see no way that using chlorox is less trouble than using chlorine tablets. You can contest that this can cause "trouble" for the pool but I see no way you can say that the chlorine application method of BBB is less trouble.

IDK...here's my 2 cents (again? I know :wink:)

With bleach, I know what I'm dealing with. I spend 5 minutes a day done, confident in the process.
Using trichlor this spring/summer, I feel a bit paranoid about it - I'm testing more, constantly wondering what the levels are like, hows the PH, etc. etc., for me personally the tablets (cuz I know the problems that can happen) it's more unsettling and worrysome.... I prefer the bleach. Perhaps its because I have a history with overstabilization and low ph - and I don't want that situation again.

The last of the tablets that were in the floater dissolved yesterday. Switching to bleach now and if the CYA isn't at 50 I'll just go get some at walmart, and I'll save what's in the tub for future vacations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thinkly said:
I see no way that using chlorox is less trouble than using chlorine tablets. You can contest that this can cause "trouble" for the pool but I see no way you can say that the chlorine application method of BBB is less trouble.

Thinkly, It's hard to understand your motivation with the statements being made, as it relates to the OP's questions? I believe you may be confused with TFP's mission. It is my understanding that "Trouble free" refers to members avoiding pool water issues and does not imply is it the easiest method to apply chlorine or the amount of effort required. Personally, we do not state you have to lug bleach bottles around, you can use a liquidator or you can use a swg and quite honestly, we hold nothing against folks who choose to use stabilized chlorine.

If using stabilzed chlorine for you is working, that's great, but that was not the OP's concern...so yeah, it's dificult to understand your motivation.

If the name of the site was "Troble Free Chlorination", hey maybe I could understand your point...but we're trying to help people avoid common pool issues, such as algae, staining, cloudiness, etc...not provide an avenue to exert the least amount of effort to maintaing your pool.

I see no way that using chlorox is less trouble than using chlorine tablets.
A clarification is in order.
Tabs may be less effort to use than liquid, but not less trouble.

Your use of the word trouble, as in "I won't take the trouble to use Chlorox.", is not the generally accepted context of the word's use here. We generally define it to mean disturbance or bad consequence, as in "You're liable to get yourself into a heap of trouble using them tablets, son."

Again, by definition, your use is technically and grammatically correct, but it's not what we mean by the word trouble here.

Ohm_Boy said:
I see no way that using chlorox is less trouble than using chlorine tablets.
A clarification is in order.
Tabs may be less effort to use than liquid, but not less trouble.

Your use of the word trouble, as in "I won't take the trouble to use Chlorox.", is not the generally accepted context of the word's use here. We generally define it to mean disturbance or bad consequence, as in "You're liable to get yourself into a heap of trouble using them tablets, son."

Again, by definition, your use is technically and grammatically correct, but it's not what we mean by the word trouble here.
Tabs are only less effort (and trouble) until the inevitable happens...high CYA and low FC causes...well...trouble. Then I imagine the effort could be quite extensive...and expensive.

Thinkly said:
Trouble for the pool is trouble for the pool operator... :wink:

There is no question that Trichlor tabs/pucks are more convenient and less effort because 1) they are very concentrated in chlorine so far less weight to carry when purchased and 2) slowly dissolve so that one can add chlorine to their pool more like once every 4-5 days or perhaps once a week rather than every day or two. Quite frankly, if Trichlor didn't have other side effects, I know I'd be using them and so would a lot of other people.

The problem is that Trichlor does have side effects. It's not only the increase in CYA and the resulting lowering of chlorine disinfection, oxidation, and algae kill rates but also it's low acidity. This not only requires more pH adjustment (or a rather high TA level with more aeration) but requires care of how to use the Trichlor since I still pay the price of iron staining from rusted mounts from my Trichlor use 7 years ago from a floating feeder -- an inline chlorinator would have helped avoid that problem.

For automation of chlorine dosing, there are options such as The Liquidator or a peristaltic pump, but that still requires buying and carrying a heavier source of chlorine. A saltwater chlorine generator (SWG / SWCG) solves both problems so you don't have to buy/carry chlorine and you get automatic dosing, but is not completely without (different) side effects. Nevertheless, the side effects are usually more easily manageable which is why these systems are the most popular for new pool installs.

One can absolutely manage a pool using Trichlor by either controlling the CYA level through sufficient water dilution which can sometimes come naturally from rain overflow and backwashing, or (up to some CYA level) by using a supplemental algaecide (PolyQuat, borates, copper though can stain, bromide/bromine, etc.) or limiting algae nutrients, or maintaining a higher FC level or shocking regularly to try and catch up, or can just take a chance that their pool doesn't support fast algae growth (such as water naturally poor in algae nutrients).

frustratedpoolmom said:
IDK...here's my 2 cents (again? I know :wink:)

With bleach, I know what I'm dealing with. I spend 5 minutes a day done, confident in the process.
Using trichlor this spring/summer, I feel a bit paranoid about it - I'm testing more, constantly wondering what the levels are like, hows the PH, etc. etc., for me personally the tablets (cuz I know the problems that can happen) it's more unsettling and worrysome.... I prefer the bleach. Perhaps its because I have a history with overstabilization and low ph - and I don't want that situation again.

The last of the tablets that were in the floater dissolved yesterday. Switching to bleach now and if the CYA isn't at 50 I'll just go get some at walmart, and I'll save what's in the tub for future vacations.

FPM, I started doing this last season and it works like a charm! When I discovered that my CYA was basically at nil, I tossed some stabilized tabs in, kept an eye on my CYA and when it was at 20-25, I went back to BBB. I'm doing the same thing this season. It's nice to just kinda coast for awhile!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.