Leaking Jandy Check Valve

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
My raised spa drains down to the level of the jets back into the pool if I do not close the bypass valve that operates the spillway. I took that check valve apart and everything looked good. Put some o-ring grease on the flapper seal and put it back together. Still leaks. When they fail, are there visible signs? Seems like I'd be able to see something wrong but I can't. Any thoughts?

My spa was doing the exact same thing for some time and I finally got around to replacing the flapper assembly on my Jandy check valve a week ago and it fixed the problem :whoot: You have to buy the cover and flapper assembly as a replacement part, which is kind of a waste, but it makes the repair pretty simple. Just seems a bit costly to fix a worn gasket.

Tiger85

The old gasket on the flapper didn't really look that bad. It wasn't very worn looking, just bleached out more than anything. I was concerned that replacing it might not fix the problem, but the new one worked like a charm. The original one lasted about 7 years.

Like to restart this old thread.

After about 10 yrs since my pool was installed, the spa started to drain into the pool. I replaced the Jandy Check Valve using the rebuild flapper assy kit. For a week it fixed the problem then the spa started to drain again. I removed the new flapper assembly again to inspect it. Looked fine but cleaned the rubber circumference of the flapper and the PVC contact area of the flapper mating surface with a clean cloth. Spa still drained into the pool. Once again I removed the flapper assembly but this time I put a very thin amount of gasket grease (that I had also used on the o-ring) to the flapper rubber as well as a very thin amount on the PVC flapper mating surface. So far that seems to have fixed the problem although it's only been a couple days. strange.

Anyone out there want to comment on this?
Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.