no chlorine reading with green algai

Aug 9, 2007
I am having problems with getting my pool to clean up this year. I used 5 lbs. of powdered shock treatment and the chlorine level was at 3-5. I checked it this morning and I have a 0 reading of chlorine. I also use the 3" chlorine tablets in a floating device.
total hardness level is 200
ph level is 7.5
alkalinity is 60-120
cya is 30-50
I have green algae in the water. The bottom and sides of the pool are not slimmy the water is green colored and I have shocked and shocked the water with no results of getting rid of the green color. If you have any suggestions on what I can and should do please help me. I have a 27' X 4' round pool. I have a sand filter that I have been running 24/7.

You need chlorine and lot's of it....for a few days.

You'll need to bring your chlorine up to around 20ppm (it'll dissipate quickly) which will be about 5.3 gallons of 6% bleach. (put it in in the evening for the best effect).

Now, here's the part most folks miss....you must constantly replenish that chlorine with further additions as often as practicable. Some folks are able to do it three times daily but twice daily is acceptable.

Keep your pump running 24/7 and keep the chlorine at least 15ppm plus constantly. Your pool will clear.

This process will be troublesome without a test kit that will measure FC above 5ppm.

There are some helpful links in my signature, including a great test kit and Jason's calculatro which will figure our how much of what you need to add to your water!

Also read the stickies for a good explanation of pool water chemistry.

Welcome to TFP! follow Dave's advice, and you will be well on your way to a Trouble-Free Pool!

Hi again.
I have not seen any improvement on my water color. It is still a yucky green. I have been keeping my chlorine leverl around 20 ppm. I have just checked the readings and they are:
ph 7.8
fc 20
hardness no reading
ta 70
cya 40
I have been adding clorox 2-182oz jugs (6%) every evening to keep the levels up. They have not been falling below 15ppm. I was wondering if I am still on the right track as to what I have been doing.

Do you see algae? Is the water clear and green?

If you don't see algae and the water is still green and with that high of a FC level over that long - it sounds like you have metals in your water.

Have your water tested for metals and treat with a metal sequestreant.

teresaw said:
Hi again.
I have not seen any improvement on my water color. It is still a yucky green. I have been keeping my chlorine leverl around 20 ppm. I have just checked the readings and they are:
ph 7.8
fc 20
hardness no reading
ta 70
cya 40
I have been adding clorox 2-182oz jugs (6%) every evening to keep the levels up. They have not been falling below 15ppm. I was wondering if I am still on the right track as to what I have been doing.

Hi teresaw,

You posted on the 9th that you would put some chlorine in...and it's only the 11th right now. If you put the chlorine in on the 9th that's only two days of sustained shock levels...if you added it late on the 9th or the 10th that's only 1 day of sustained levels.

Keep your levels up to shock levels and check often thru the day, adding chlorine when needed. Could you post a chlorine reading for both this evening and tomorrow morning to see if there's a drop?

stick with it!
dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.