Adjustments to the Pool Calculator for small pools?

Jun 13, 2010
Are there any adjustments to the Pool Calculator regarding small pools other than adjusting the gallons on the calculator?

I have tested {simple chlorine and PH tester} and found my PH to be very low. After adjusting the calculator for my 3000 gallons, it shows I should put more than 75lbs of washing soda {borax?}

That seems like an awful lot of borax, might have to let some water out to accommodate it! Or is it a noob mistake?

Went and got a better test kit from Leslies, the deluxe kit made by Taylor, measures FC TC Bromine PH AD and TA.

More info made the Pool Calculator work a bit better! Still, some readings have me wondering...

After 24 hours from an Aquachem shock {1/4lb for 3000 gal};

FC .5
TC ? {no amount of drops could make any change, because the FC is so low?}
PH 6.8
AD ? {as above, no amount of drops could make any change}
TA 30ppm

I am sending a sample over for a freebie test to fill in a few more of the blanks.

So you have a kit that uses the DPD chlorine test; drops that turn the sample pink/red, which you compare to color blocks and match up. Be aware that this test will bleach out (read as zero) when FC is very high, somewhere in the teens as I recall.

TC: Adding more drops than you're supposed to (probably 5) shouldn't change anything. If it doesn't change, FC = TC so CC=0, which is a good thing. (Low FC, not so good, but you knew that.)

PH: 6.8 is as low as it goes, you use acid to lower pH, therefore the acid-demand test showed nothing (because your pool does not want acid). If you had a base-demand test, that's the one you want for low pH.
--paulr

I think I am beginning to see...! 'Preciate the tips!

Think I'll follow the calculator's suggestions for now, send the sample over and run the calc again and take it from there.

Maybe use some dichlor instead of bleach to build up some CYA?

Seem to be fighting to keep chlorine in the pool, each test has come back FC 0, gonna get over to the store and get some tabs with CYA or straight CYA to add.

Any suggestions on how to use tabs in my 3K gal blob pool? {Intex Easy Set} Or does the sock hanging from the ladder do the trick?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Went with the straight CYA powder, boy, that stuff doesnt mix too well in the 5 gal bucket! Figure I will wait until any bits on the bottom have all dissolved and run a sample over to the store for a free test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.