Chlorine testing with yellow treat

Jun 13, 2010
Pensacola FL
Hey All, have been lurking for a couple weeks so I thought I would as a question.

I recently moved to a new house with a pool and stated with the pool store. Trichlor tabs and they wanted me to use No Mor problems each week. There was a bottle of yellow treat the old owner left so the pool store said I could use a 1/4 cap each week. Well, I have stopped the trichlor and changed over to BBB :whoot: . My question is will the sodium bromide I've been putting in significantly affect the chlorine reading on my K-2006. I was wondering this b/c my readings and the pool stores are different on most things. They appear to be testing by measuring optical density as they always use cuvettes and put them in a reader.

My results
FC 4.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 120
CYA 60
CH 250
Overnight FC loss .5

Pool Store (I got a gold star on my sheet)
TC 2.5
CC 0
pH 7.7
TA 90
CYA 75
CH 250

I'm in florida and it's been 95 for the last week. I seem to loose about 2-2.5 ppm chlorine each day, but my pool is screened in and there are a lot of trees.

So back to my question. Do you think the sodium bromide is affecting the chlorine readings? and/ or increasing my chlorine demand?

I don't think it has anything to do with the sodium bromide. It is quite common for some FC to be "lost in transit" on the way to the pool store.

Bromine and chlorine will both show up on all of the common FC tests, but even if some of your "chlorine" is actually bromine, it should still behave int the same way, giving the same final level, on all of the different test approaches.

Thanks for the answer. Does a 1/4 cap of yellow treat a week hurt anything or does it just add to the cost. I'm going out of town for 9 days and had planned on bringing the chlorine up to shock level and throwing in 4 pucks in the chlorinator (which lasts about 6-7days). I was thinking of throwing in a 1/4 cap of sodium bromide before I left to cover my bases.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.