Jack's Magic Step Cleaner

It definitely contains a phosphoric acid derivative (which is a sequestrant) in the liquid portion. I would assume that the powder is something in the citric acid/ascorbic acid family, but they don't say anywhere.

I would like to thank everyone for the kind things said about my products. I can tell you that Jack's does not use ascorbic or citric acid in any of our products nor do we have phosphoric acid in any of our sequestering products. Should anyone have technical questions or need advice or help they are always welcome to email me @ [email protected]

Jack said:
nor do we have phosphoric acid in any of our sequestering products.

The MSDS would say otherwise. Technically, its a phosphonic acid derivitive.

Manufacturer MSDS #
Jack's Magic Products, Inc. N/A
Address CAS #
12435 73rd Ct. N/A
Date Prepared
Largo, FL 33773 5/2008
Phone # (for information) Prepared By
1-800-348-1656 N/A
Emergency Phone #
1-800-424-9300 (international 703-527-3887)
SECTION 1 – MATERIAL IDENTIFICATION AND INFORMATION
COMPONENTS – Chemical Name & Common Name
(Hazardous Components 1% or greater, carcinogens 0.1% or greater)
% OSHA
PEL
ACHH
TLV
OTHER LIMITS
RECOMMENDED
Proprietary Formulation 100
Contains: (1-Hydroxyelthylidene-1, 1-
diphosphonic Acid)
Non-

Reactions: Ignoramus
Phosphonates or phosphonic acids are simply organic derivatives of phosphoric acid. They all have the core phosphorous with 3 oxygen as shown in this link. By comparison, phosphoric acid or orthophosphate is shown in this link. You can see that the difference is in the organic portion which was designated as "R" in the first image above. The specific ingredient "1-Hydroxyethylidene-1, 1-diphosphonic Acid" is commonly referred to as HEDP and has a structure as shown in this link.

HEDP has some decent resistance to breakdown from chlorine (due to the relatively strong C-P bonds), but it DOES break down by getting oxidized over time (especially in sunlight) which results in generation of orthophosphates. The bond between the carbon and phosphorous is broken ultimately forming two orthophosphates and organic chlorine compounds (or carbon dioxide and water if oxidized by oxygen). Some species of algae can utilize the phosphorous present in HEDP as a nutrient, though the uptake is slow.

Of course, we know that algae can be controlled by chlorine alone even when phosphate levels are high so we don't worry about that on this forum and is why we prefer using HEDP and similar metal sequestrants since they bind to metals better and are more resistant to breakdown from chlorine than most other metal sequestrants so generally do not result in noticeably increased chlorine demand.

Reactions: Ignoramus
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.