pump humming

Jun 14, 2010
I am hoping that someone here can help me. My hayward 1.5hp pump has been working fine for the last month. Today I went to turn it on and all it wants to do is hum. I checked the plugs, breakers, unplugged to reset and moved the control to recirculate instead of filter (thinking it may be stuck). All it does is hum/buzz. Called hayward and spent 20 mins on hold. Called my local pool dealer and they suggested replacing the pump thinking it was a bearing issue. Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend about $350. TIA

First thing I'd do is pull the back cover off the pump (turn off breaker first) and take something and try to turn the shaft. Every once in a while we'll hear where the pump sticks for some reason or other and turning the shaft will get it going again. In fact that happened to mine once.

Bama Rambler said:
First thing I'd do is pull the back cover off the pump (turn off breaker first) and take something and try to turn the shaft. Every once in a while we'll hear where the pump sticks for some reason or other and turning the shaft will get it going again. In fact that happened to mine once.

If it starts working after you do this, I would buy some Non conductive lubricant which is available at home depot electrical section and turn off breaker again and open cover and spray some around the bearings and shaft..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.