SWG for above ground pool

Jun 13, 2010
Ok, need help with some questions about a SWG system for my pool. Mine is 19600 gallons, and all the systems I am seeing are rated for an AG of 18000. Can any system be used as long as it matches my capacity? I am done with Baquacil, 4 year old pool and the costs, not to mention algae problems the last two years. Ny dealer, who I think makes all his money on chemicals, says it will corrode my metal liner, but after researching this, I am inclined to not believe him.
Thanks in advance for any help rendered.

Danny

Whether it's marketed for an inground or an above ground pool they'll work on either one. Get a unit with the largest cell you can afford. For a 20,000 gallon pool I recommend at least a 25,000 gallon model and larger if you can afford it. If you get a unit that just matches the size of your pool remember that they rate them to sanitize the rated size by running 24 hours a day.

dlschell5 said:
I usually run my filter 24 hours a day, would I do the same with a SWG?

If it's sized properly, you shouldn't have to. The higher end units have percentage settings where 100% is on constantly, 0% is off constantly, 50% is on for 12 hours, etc. (least I think it's linear like that). You can start at, say, 60% and check how much your FC increases in a day, and then adjust either downward or upward until it's generating the amount of FC you want.

The lower end units like the Intex I have, you program it to run a certain # of hours, it runs those # of hours and shuts off, and then comes on the next day at roughly the same time and runs for those same # of hours again. Like the higher end units, I had to dial my unit in to produce the amount of FC I need. Turns out I run mine 4 hours a day.

edit: btw, you probably don't need to be running your pump and filter 24 hours a day either, especially if it's a single speed pump.

dlschell5 said:
corrode my metal liner
Did you really mean "metal liner"? Normally there is a metal frame with a vinyl liner between it and the water. As long as you have a vinyl liner you are fine. If majority of the pool surface is actually metal directly in contact with the water you need to find out what kind of metal that is before adding salt.

No, I meant metal walls with a vinyl liner, was not too clear on my discription. Out of habit I run my pump 24 hours a day, I may put it on a timer and maybe try running 12 hours a day and see how it goes. Our water clarity is good, fighting some algae right now with the Baquacil we are using, I am going to go to a SWG, thought I would wait until next season, but after the most recent bill for chemicals, may go with it this year.

dlschell5 said:
No, I meant metal walls with a vinyl liner, was not too clear on my discription. Out of habit I run my pump 24 hours a day, I may put it on a timer and maybe try running 12 hours a day and see how it goes. Our water clarity is good, fighting some algae right now with the Baquacil we are using, I am going to go to a SWG, thought I would wait until next season, but after the most recent bill for chemicals, may go with it this year.

You'll have to convert your pool from Baquagoo to chlorine first before you can use a SWCG...you probably know this, but wanted to make sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, bought the Jandy SWG, and put my first bottles of bleach in, talk about some impressive colors. I found I do not have the correct testing kits to maintain the 15PPM. Can I add bleach and assume that as long as the water changes color, that there is still Baq present?

I hate to give you a number of days because if you're one of the people that take longer you'll be disappointed but here goes anyway.
I haven't actually counted but it seems like about a week at the outside. Now don't get too disappointed if it takes a little longer.

Sounds good, am picking up a test kit tomorrow, so far I put, based on the pool calculator, 788 ounces of bleach, which changed the color of the water dramtically, and followed by 364 ounces this evening. My figuring is at least I can kill some of the Baquacil while waiting for my test kit. Also have large particles suspended in the water. Backwashing was gree, followed by yellow with a lot of faom. Am I helping or hurting without a reliable test kit. I have 14 days to get this converted to a SWG before I am out of the country for a bit. If the pool is not up and running, my wife is going to very unfriendly, lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.