Good water clarifier?

G

My pool water seems to get cloudy quickly. My numbers are all in check and dont see a need to post them. Not having a problem with it. Just cloudy water after we get in. I vacuum 1-2 times a week. Cant vacuum any more because of time, unless I teach my kids to do it. At any rate what type of water clarifier should I use?

I think I read here before that Sea-Klear is a good clarifier. My neighbor swears by the HTH brand, but then again, I can't see even 6 inches through the water over there.

I know others will see this and say what I'm about to, but I'll say it anyway: If your water balance is correct clarifier is RARELY needed.

Well, I just figure its from all the crud that gets in it! This little 1500 gallon pool that is literally 5 feet away from 2 trees that towers over it and my trailer! And the pool is between the trees and my trailer! Between sediment, leaves, pollen, caterpillars, and other bugs and bather waste, its a lot on it! I run my pumps 24/7 and I'm surprised it doesn't clear up! I can vacuum, and 30 minutes later I can brush the pool and see dust come up from the bottom!

if your getting "dust" that sits at the bottom, and stirs up when you use the pool, the best way to remove it would be vacuum it out to waste. That may be hard since its an intex pool, but if you rig the plumbing in a way that allows you to basicly drain the pool as you vacuum while all the dust is at the bottom, it will get it out of the pool. Another option is to drain it, clean it out with a shop vac and refill it. 1500 gallons isnt much and may be a quick stress free fix.

Yeah its basically dust on the bottom! And refilling isn't an option as we are on a community well and I have allready filled it 3 times! It collapsed the first time as I over filled it! 2nd time I drained as I thought I had algae and it was just fine brown dirt/dust!

I can modify my vacuum for a better filter if you guys can suggest a type of fabric or material that would filter it out!

I can filter to waste but water replacement I am try to avoid as I have used so much and topped it off at least 4 times allready! We get ruff in it!

I have the regular crappy water hose vacuum and one that I bought that runs off the pumps suction! I haven't seen skimmer socks. I am assuming my local pool store would have em! What about walmart or lowes?

If you want to make it easy, get paint strainers or queen size knee high hosiery. Works great and is easy to find. Just make sure you get the plain knee highs in the queen size rather than the support type. I had a heck of a time with the support kind. They just didn't want to give enough to go over the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So just to clarify, my numbers...

FC 9
CC 1.0
TC 10
TA 100
pH 7.2
CYA 65
CH 60

I have a sock on my skimmer and gonna put one into my vac as well. Hope it works.

And just wondering, I have been using some filters that I have washed/bleached for like the 3rd/4th time. Could this be an issue as well? Maybe filters are worn out?

Paxination said:
So just to clarify, my numbers...

FC 9
CC 1.0
TC 10
TA 100
pH 7.2
CYA 65
CH 60

I have a sock on my skimmer and gonna put one into my vac as well. Hope it works.

And just wondering, I have been using some filters that I have washed/bleached for like the 3rd/4th time. Could this be an issue as well? Maybe filters are worn out?

Looks like you need to shock the pool. If CCs go above .5, shocking is necessary...
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

The 1 cc is just recent and my fc hasn't dropped below 5 since I last shocked. I know I was done shocking when my over night test only dropped .5. Is it possible to have a cc of 1 and yet still have good fc levels?

Paxination said:
The 1 cc is just recent and my fc hasn't dropped below 5 since I last shocked. I know I was done shocking when my over night test only dropped .5. Is it possible to have a cc of 1 and yet still have good fc levels?
Yes, that is possible. It happens either when there is a regular or continuous higher bather load which outpaces chlorine's ability to oxidize the bather waste or can happen even with low bather loads if something gets into the water that is slow to oxidize, but where chlorine nevertheless combines with it to register as CC. If it doesn't get lowered after shocking but you don't notice any bad smell, then it's probably OK. To get rid of it (if one wants to) one may need to use some form of supplemental oxidation such as enzymes or MPS, but again this probably isn't necessary. Usually exposing the pool to sunlight is sufficient to lower such persistent CC -- the UV in sunlight either directly helps break down the CC or it results in more breakdown of chlorine into free radicals (hydroxyl radicals) that are much stronger oxidizers.

So...I added one of those socks to my vacuum head and I have had one on my skimmer since tuesday. Havent seen any change yet but it might take some time. One thing that is bothering me is when I vacuum, with or with out that sock on, I can barely vacuum half of my SMALL 1500 gallon pool with it before I HAVE to clean out the bag. It takes me every bit of an hour to vacuum my pool. Is it because of poor suction? Should I just invest in a stronger filter pump? Right now I have both the 530gph and the 1000gph pumps hooked up. The 1000 is connected at the beginning and the 530 is at the end just before the return. The 530 is helping with flow. If I dont use it my vacuum doesnt work as good with its 18' hose and my solar heater. And the rest of the plumbing.

What size pump?

Ok so no reply on my question. At any rate it was all me! EVERYTHING. The cloudyness was due to me NOT scrubbing the pool. And my poor suction was me not changing my filters. I couldnt even believe I forgot to change em. Now I am gonna have to add a reminder into my blackberry to remind me to do that once a week. And spray and clean them.

My water is sparkling clean.

While I am on the topic of cleaning cartridge filters. Is there a way to tell when they have surpassed their usefullness and need to be thrown out?

Paxination said:
While I am on the topic of cleaning cartridge filters. Is there a way to tell when they have surpassed their usefullness and need to be thrown out?
If there are any holes or punctures, then they need to be replaced. If they are not able to be effectively cleaned then they would need to be replaced. If too many of the straps (if present), then they may need to be replaced -- the straps prevent fluttering (and wear) with water flow and maximize the effective surface area preventing any pleats from getting pinched together.

I have an oversized cartridge filter and decided to replace mine last year after about 6 years of use. The straps were starting to go and I could have probably gone another few years, but 6 years isn't bad so I just got new ones.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.