How to install pump

May 25, 2010
I recently purchased a Hayward Power Flo, to replace my Power Pak1. Can anyone help with how to do this. The power pak is just connected with hoses. The new pump doesn't have anywhere to connect the hoses to. I have read the instruction book and it says something about using PVC can anyone please help and let me know what exactly I need to do!

Thank You!

I'm a relative newb at this myself, but if you post some pix of your old setup and ypur new pump I would be willing to help.

You may have to take the fittings off the old pump and put them on the new pump.

pictures of the pump will help a lot. Is it a Matrix, LX, or ???? which model? Anyway, usually you will need a threaded male PVC end to fit on the pump intake - probably 1 1/2" but it's entirely possible that there could be some out there with 2"? - the output to the filter may be the same one that goes to your current filter so nothing new may be needed there - usually that is fairly standard and may have a small O ring or gasket that goes with it.

Here are the pictures of the 2 pumps. The old pump had male ends that the hose from the skimmer & hose going to the filter slid over.
The new pump has female threaded connectors, so I can't connect the hoses

Attachments

• oldpump.jpg
    oldpump.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 207
  • newpump.jpg
    newpump.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 205
Ok...I'm officially out of the "helping" phase as I have no clue after seeing that second picture. I have the same pump as you new one though (love it!). Its a Powerflo Matrix for future reference. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.

You will have to make you new fitting from scratch or go to pool store & get you some fitting..All pretty standard..If you are good at plumbing you can go to the hardware store &get some help& You may have to get the tapered end's for new hose's..Don't know what size your old hoses were..If they are 1.5 to 1.3/4 youcan just get the new hose end's at the poolstore and they will screw into the new pump...I would recomend putting some cut-off valves on the new set-up.I wouldn't get too worried over it..When you get it going you will have one good pump..I did notice the ext cord laying on the ground..That new pump will burn that cord up!!!I'm new to the site but there will be plenty of advice..Good Luck!!!

Need a couple of these PVC Insert Adapter or hose barb. and a couple clamps.
K5jE6HUWd8hXRxI6KYjirQxY7gBqR2euW-M-_wIhO1B9tmXK5cb10wHAxNr_UZCALVTOyYJF8OCgNijKoGHZPvrOWsueSfSRsFxXkFV95j66ctxwuS9lxtpt6IZsr410twGP9e0GFDfsWXBHTlkYOuWfmvkd-lkBzTEdMZmIMsrtzWb8JA

Also as mention in previous post, make sure your electrical connections can carry the electrical load of the new pump.

Thank you all for the help. Hopefully I can get the stuff and get it up & running real soon, this Texas heat is almost unbearable.
And just to note I know that does look like an extension cord but is actually the cord that came on the Power Pak.
I do have an outlet that was installed just for the pool, will that be ok with the new pump?

The outlet you speak of should be ok to plug the pump into. A hardware store, a farm store that sells sprayer fittings, & pools stores should carry the fittings. I have the same pump, & it should be 1 1/2 pipe thread on the end that screws into the pump, & you need to measure the hose for the barbed end. It should be either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question for "jrstxgirl"... I am am having great difficulty finding a replacement strainer pot (mine cracked) for my Power Pak I. My local guy has tried 3 times and they keep sending him the wrong item. I see you are replacing your entire pump. Would you be willing to sell me the strainer pot from the old Power Pak I?

PS..It's just as hot here in ATL and the kids are dying without the pool!!

Call me 770-716-0050 if interested.

Thanks...Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.