Keeping the protective cover on a rolled-up solar cover

Jun 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone got some good tips on keeping a cover on a rolled-up solar cover?

Our pool is slightly free-form and the deck has a one-step riser near the deep end. Because of that, our solar cover reel (a Rocky's Rollers model) straddles the pool, about 5 feet from the edge of the deep end. It's easier to just keep the reel there, even when we're swimming, unless we're having a lot of people over.

The only problem is keeping that thin white plastic sheet on top of the rolled-up cover. The slightest breeze picks up the edge and flings it back off of the cover. Since the reel stretches across the water, I can't go around and tuck it in or clip it together. Last season I tried putting binder clips on the edges of the white plastic sheet, which worked OK but left rust marks on the white sheet. Maybe someone else here has a trick that works?

I bought a cover for mine that uses velcro on the sides that wrap around the solar cover to hold it on with. Had to buy it separately, because my new solar cover didn't come with the white plastic sheet like my first one did.

Paul, since I hate the process of putting a replacement cover on the reel, I'll do whatever I can to keep the current cover in good shape. :-D

if the wind is catching it, you'll probably have to put at least one in the middle.

That would mean swimming out to the reel after I've rolled the thing up, since I can't get to the middle from the pool deck. I wonder if I can train the dog to do that? :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.