Trick To Reinstalling My Inground Pool Light?

Jun 2, 2010
OK, this seems like a 5 minute job, but after more than 2 hours of frustration, I'm asking for help.

I just replaced my the light in my Hayward light assembly and simply can not figure out the 'trick' of matching the top screw into the tiny little hole while under the water. My fingers are too fat to be able to keep in contact with the screw and the hole by the time that the assembly of the light itself requires me to pull my fingers out.

I have managed to get the little notch at the bottom seated (or at least I think it was) down at the bottom and then attempt to 'lean' the top into place, but simply can't get the screw to take hold.

I've tried it from the deck, from in the water, with goggles, without goggles, one person, two people. It's full of air...I'm full of air, so nothing's working.

Surely I'm making this harder than it has to be! I'm about to drain the pool back down to the light to get this done, but surely that's an extreme measure...can someone help me?

Thanks!

Gene

Welcome to TFP!!

I'll bet you were closer than you think :wink:

First make sure the cord doesn't interfere - either wrap it tightly around the light housing or coil it up and shove it all the way back into the niche.

Then catch the lip on the bottom.

Then ease the top back to the faceplate. Use your finger to hold the screwhead flush to the rim and just gently move the top of the light back and forth until you feel the screw hit the threads. Start cranking the screw in :)

To make it a little easier for you, you can mark the faceplate with a pencil right above the receiving threads.

HTH

Gene,

I haven't experienced your specific problem, but I've re-lamped and replaced my light (another story) and if I recall there was a rubber grommet around the screw that held it in place in the light flange so that it would line up with the hole when putting the light back into the niche. You might try fashioning something to slide down over the end of the screw after inserting it into the flange to hold it in place and help with lining it up. Good luck. :-D

Tiger85

Let me throw in my 2 cents worth here on my own light replacement.... after several tries and adult language words, I found that the new screw for the light wasn't as "efficient" (read long enough...) for the "old" housing. When I used the "old" screw...it went in without a hitch. Just something else to think about...may or may not be relevant........... Good luck!

Well, if none of the tricks above work, and if the problem is being able to hold on to the screw, try poking the screw through something that will stabilize it and allow you to hold on to it, like a plastic collar stay, the longer the better.

(Do I win a prize for today's longest run-on sentence?) :party:

I did Ted's steps with one change in bold.

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

I'll bet you were closer than you think :wink:

First make sure the cord doesn't interfere - either wrap it tightly around the light housing or coil it up and shove it all the way back into the niche.

Then catch the lip on the bottom.

Then ease the top back to the faceplate. Use your finger to hold the screwhead flush to the rim and just gently move the top of the light back and forth until you feel the screw hit the threads.
Instead of using your finger, I would use the screwdriver. Have the screwdriver on the screw as you slowly search for the threads. When you find the threads, the screwdriver is already in position to start turning. I still had to move the light a little while turning the screw. Just did this over the weekend.

Start cranking the screw in :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.