Did you all do your landscaping through your pool company?

mbolo

Jul 11, 2007
or did you do it through a local landscaper? was it cheaper?

also, how about sprinklers? my thought was to have the pool company do that being that they can run the lines for it.. or can I just have someone come and do it myself after they excavate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I have BLACK THUMBS, so no, I will not be doing this myself lol

Thank you!

I didn't have the option. My pool company will not do either. I also have black thumbs but also after this project, I also have an empty wallet. I'll be doing both myself. I dug up and saved all the sprinkler heads and valves prior to excavation. The pipe is cheap, and a trencher will run me about $250. The twelve pallets of sod will be the back-breaker.

I am having my pool builder do the landscaping, sod replacement and repair of the sprinkler system. I knew going into this that those items would be a pain to accomplish after the money for the pool was spent, so we chose to have it included as part of the pool bid and factor the budget for everything into the pool build. I am certain that the landscaping package we are getting is more expensive than if I did it myself...builder has to make some type of profit. The sod isn't too bad...about $60.00 more a pallette than if I bought it myself, but that includes installation. Sprinkler repair cost is a little high, but they will probably do a better job with the zones compared to the way they were prior.

Good luck!

Mine was all done by the pool company. Basically the pool company did not do Crud. All they did was hire contractors. As for the landscaper, that was the last contractor that came to the rescue.
I mean they destroyed my yard, so yep they did redo it regardless.

IMHO, yep it was cheaper done all as a package by the pool company. :)

Then:
IMG_2567.jpg

The Mess they made:
IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

Now {pics about 8 months ago}
IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

P1000007.jpg

My personal opinion is you should let pool companies build pools and let landscapers landscape. I think you could get a better deal if you went to a nursery and asked them for landscaper recommendations. Set up an appointment with a few and see how that works out. I let a landscaper do some of it ( bringing in the palms and setting up the beds), but I did quite a bit myself.

We did it ourselves...okay my HUSBAND did it himself. We talked to the PB about lansdcaping and it was ridiculously high so we did it ourselves. This was a new house with a huge grass backyard. Before the pool went in, my hubby planted two oaks and three large flower beds. All the palms went on sale in Dec. so hubby bought them for nothing. We placed them in our garage on cold days until after pool was built. We had PB do the irrigation b/c he did not feel up to doing that. They had orginally told us 1 pallet of sod would suffice but when they brought it, it barely covered 1/2 the area that was missing grass. So we replaced the rest of the sod ourselves...wish we just would have done it all ourselves. My hubby also laid a flagstone patio and saved us about 3 grand.

Thanks for your replies.

My husband will not lay flagstone or plant anything lol I just thought that I'd be able to get a better price if I had the one pool company do it all. (outdoor bbq/kitchen, decking, spa, sauna, mosquito misting unit, irrigation system). Am I wrong for thinking that? the other option I was thinking was having them do all of the work minus the landscaping and than finding a couple of guys to do the work on the side?

I (will) live in Missouri City, TX (I'll be SeanB's neighbor in a few months lol)

we won't need sod, because we don't like grass really so we'd rather have some type of decking (flagstone, advaced deck, etc., stamped concrete) instead.

These are the packages.

Package 1
(3) – 8’ tall Queen Palms

(2) – 8’ tall Florida Sabal Palms

(1) – 6’ tall Pindo Palm

(4) – 20gal. Sago Palms

(2) – 6’ Accent Trees

(50) – 5gal. Shrubs

(30) – 1gal. Shrubs

6 Flats of Flowers

16yds. of Soil and Mulch

$ 5,700 total package price

Package 2

(3) - 8’-10’ tall Florida Sable Palms

(1) – 8’ tall California Fan Palm
(1) – 6’ tall California Fan Palm
(1) – 6’ Mediterranean Fan Palm
(4) – 20gal. Sago Palms

(3) – 6’ Accent Trees

(60) – 5gal. Shrubs

(40) – 1gal. Shrubs

10 Flats of Flowers

16yds. of Soil and Mulch

$ 6,700 total package price

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mbolo said:
tagprod said:
Is that from that nursery on the beltway?

that is what the pool company is charging.

There's a nursery on the beltway just north of I-10 on the west side that puts packages together like this. I think it's called Flamingo's or something like that. The packages look a lot like what I recall from them. I'd go look down there before I agreed to the pool company's deal. I will say, the deal doesn't seem totally outrageous for what you get.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!

Does anyone know what it should cost for an irrigation system (new, front and back) and mosquito misting system? and how about landscape lights?

A neighbor of mine had sprinklers just added for $500 a zone. Too much for me 

Landscape lighting largely depends on the fixtures you get. I had some forethought and trenched in two 1” electrical PVC conduits before they added the decking. This will save me a bunch on wire to not have to go around the pool. My biggest issue is controlling all the lights and water slide pump. The prices on the electronic pool controllers are through the roof.

tagprod said:
I got some OFF! spray for about 5 bucks. Stuff works great!

me and the kids get eaten up ALIVE here in NY, so I can only imagine what it'll be like once we move.. we plan on being outdoors most of the year, so I'd rather have it bug free.. that OFF stuff does nothing for us.. I think it attracts them! lol :lol:

tagprod said:
mbolo said:
tagprod said:
Is that from that nursery on the beltway?

that is what the pool company is charging.

There's a nursery on the beltway just north of I-10 on the west side that puts packages together like this. I think it's called Flamingo's or something like that. The packages look a lot like what I recall from them. I'd go look down there before I agreed to the pool company's deal. I will say, the deal doesn't seem totally outrageous for what you get.

WOW.. I think I found the site for the place you were referring to.. You get alot more for your money at this place. I am going to email them my list and see how much they quote me.

Thanks again! You rock!

http://flamingogardensinc.com/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.