MOVING a pool?

Jul 10, 2009
Long Island, NY
OK, just an idea we're kicking around...

We inherited the pool with the house, and realized after a while that the original owners put the pool on the shadiest part of the yard. We're thinking about the feasibility of MOVING it to the other side where there is much more sun.

Currently, we use the pool for one hour -- then it is so shaded and cool, it's unusable.

The pool is an AG 24' oval, half buried. The pump and plumbing are all simple and above ground.

Anyone ever do this? Any idea what the complications or costs might be? Do it myself?

With the advice you can get here, you could do it yourself, but it will be a LOT of work! By far the hardest part would be leveling the new site. I'm currently prepping the site for our new (used) pool, and it's backbreaking work doing it by hand. The best advice I can give you is, if you can pay someone to do it, then go that route.

kingjon3rd said:
Cut some trees down!

Or move the house. :mrgreen:

It is certainly do-able but a lot of work. With some help from your family and friends, it shouldn't be too much for a DIY'er. :goodjob:

Trim some trees? Move the house?
With this kind of advice, you kind folks better head over here to help! :-D

Part of the trouble is that the adjacent lot is a forest (the south and west side). No cutting down gonna happen!

It hurts my head to figure out why the previous owners put the pool under all of these trees. Literally, from 11:30 to 12:30, we get sun on the pool. (The other side of the yard gets nice sun, all day.)

A heater is a good idea, but it's not just the temp -- without the sun on the pool, it's kind of dreary.

So questions:
-- how hard is "leveling"? (half-buried pool)
-- must I buy a new liner? it that difficult to install? (expensive?)
-- does there need to be concrete or metal mesh under the pool?
-- anyone ever do this kind of work? any idea what the cost might be to have someone do it?

-- how hard is "leveling"? (half-buried pool)
not hard, but a good amount of work and you may need a bobcat
-- must I buy a new liner? it that difficult to install? (expensive?)
Yeas, you'll likely need a new liner as the old one will not stretch and becomes dried out when emptied...A new agp liner can be had for for $150-$300
-- does there need to be concrete or metal mesh under the pool?
No, unless suffolk/nassau cty considers a half buried pool an inground pool, which if that is the case you may want to consider not having it buried and will likely reduce your r/e taxes.
-- anyone ever do this kind of work? any idea what the cost might be to have someone do it? Not personally but we paid an installer $950 for a pretty simple new pool install last year...prices on LI might be a little higher, then add dismantling and the burial...I would guess the cost to be around $2,500-$3k

Hope that helps...welcome to TFP :goodjob:

Any idea who put the pool in? Try calling them, or any pool company for that matter, start asking how much they'd charge to put ABG half buried... I'm in Baton Rouge, Louisiana but I can tell you it cost about $6000 to buy and bury mine, 21' round, 3 years ago. I was also told that if I ever drained it, it would collapse in bc of no pressure pushing out on the walls. I would definitly start calling around and asking some questions.

As for the leveling of new area... My guy came in with a backhoe, started digging (very precisely, I might add) and when he was fairly certain it was close enough he changed to using a mini walk behind bulldozer looking thing. The crew set up the laser level and then they finished the leveling by hand with rakes and such. It was quite a process to watch.

Hope this helps!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.