What is a safe amount of chlorine to swim in after shocking?

May 2, 2008
I'm getting ready to shock my pool due to lingering small algae clusters I keep getting every other day. I have several small children that swim in our pool and I wanted to know what is the highest amount of chlorine (in PPM) that is safe for kids to swim in?

Thanks!

I'm running about 40PPM for my CYA. Which is a minimum of 3 PPM, target of 5 PPM and a shock value of 16 PPM. After shocking it, does it need to get back down to 5 PPM before letting the kids back in? Or can it be higher?

Thanks for the information! My pool has been in the shock process for three days and I'm slowly beating the algae but the kids are starting to get anxious. Oh well, everything should be good in a couple of more days.

What do you normally keep your chlorine at?

If you are keeping it at recomended levels for your CYA, and you are getting pockets of algae every other day, something is wrong.

And, remember, you are done shocking only when your overnight chlorine loss is less than 1ppm.

waskydiver said:
What do you normally keep your chlorine at?

If you are keeping it at recomended levels for your CYA, and you are getting pockets of algae every other day, something is wrong.

And, remember, you are done shocking only when your overnight chlorine loss is less than 1ppm.
Thanks for the post!

The chlorine is normally at 3-5PPM (3 before I put chlorine in, 5 after) but about two weeks ago I was out of town for a few days and someone was suppose to add chlorine but didn't. When I returned I had 0 chlorine. I didn't shock then and the algae slowly creeped up on me since I didn't shock. So last weekend it got to the point where I would have algae on the pool floor. It's nothing bad but enough to become a bigger problem. Also, the chlorine is dropping more than 1PPM nightly (it's closer to 3PPM).

Continue shocking your pool at an FC of 16, running the filter 24/7, and brushing. Make sure it is at shock level before you go to bed at night and check it again in the morning before any sun hits the water. If your FC loss is > 1 ppm overnight, continue shocking at the full 16 ppm, full-time, until the FC holds over night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.