First Test and need some advice

Aug 3, 2008
I have an Intex AGP that is 8500 Gallons (18x52). It is filled with Well water but the water is fairly potable so I am not to worried about it. I have my first readings and in using the Pool Calculator the Borate references are confusing me. The testing strips I am using test for Total Bromine, Free Chlorine, Alkalinity, pH, and Calcium Hardness. My levels are as follows:

TBr 0
FCl 0
Alk 180
pH 8.4
Hard 100

I can't (yet) test for borates and the calculator tells me not to add anything in the pH section because the TA is 0 and the Borates is 0. Reading the Pool School it mentions that there isn't really a need to test for borates....I'm Confused!!

Thanks in advance for your help

Maura

Borates are not something to worry about. Once you get your water balanced you can add them if you want to. They are not necessary. They will help keep your water in balance (especially if you have pH that keeps increasing). They may also make your water look nicer.

I am not a fan of the test strips. I personally use the TF-100 test kit talked about on this forum.

Do you use chlorine or bromine?

Your chlorine or bromine should be higher than 0. The first thing I would do in to increase your chlorine or bromine. If you are using chlorine I would say to get it up to 4.0 to 5.0. Then you will need to lower your pH and alkalinity to about 7.5 and 100.

On the home page there is a link to the "Pool School". You should spend a few minutes reading some of the articles there. They may answer your questions and at the least will make it easier for you to understand the suggestions the folk here will be giving you.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.