NO chlorine

What is your CYA level? CYA around zero allows all the chlorine to be consumed by sunlight very very quickly. If CYA is 20 or higher, you must have something in the water that is consuming a huge amount of chlorine. Ammonia, either from CYA disappearing over the winter, or fertilizer, can cause that.

Regardless, you want to get your CYA level right and then keep adding chlorine until you can maintain an FC level.

It wouldn't hurt to post a full set of water test results, that might give us additional clues.

You keep adding chlorine. Sometimes, and it's just not clear why, there is a very heavy chlorine demand upon opening.

Refer to the CYA chart for your shock level. Enter that as your "target" and calculate how much bleach to add. Test again after 1 hour, and do the same thing - your "now" test result and shock level as "target". Add the recommended dose of bleach. Eventually the FC will hold....

I'd recommend replacing the test kit if it's 5 years old. You will be very satisfied with the TF100 or the Taylor K2006.

Was the granular shock Dichlor? If so, what was the CYA level before you added the powder?

One last thought - where did you buy the bleach and are you confident of it's strength?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You find your CYA level, then to the right is your "min" FC level, your "Target" which is the number you will use for nitely bleach calculations and then your shock level.

So for shocking - you test, enter your FC result in the "now" column, then your shock level in the "target" and hit calculate and it tells you how much bleach to add. Give it a try, let me know what you come up with.

So were you using Dichlor shock?

How much stabilizer did you add? I'm betting your CYA level is getting up there pretty good and it's important to know what it is.

When you first start shocking it's not unusual to lose all your FC in a very short time. We recommend testing and adding as often as every hour. You will soon see the drop lessen and can extend the times between testing and adding.

Don't add any more stabilizer or use any more dichlor. Your CYA level was already 60 to start with, which is a little high, and it is now going to be noticeably higher.

What you describe is very typical of ammonia in the water. Ammonia can come from CYA breaking down over the winter or from fertilizer getting into the pool. If you can get your water tested for ammonia, you can get some idea of how much chlorine you are going to need.

You just need to keep adding chlorine until you burn off all the {EDIT}ammonia{/EDIT}.

markscott said:
Another question? the calculator calls for 12 gal of bleach, do I add this every night. for how long???

frustratedpoolmom said:
you test, enter your FC result in the "now" column, then your shock level in the "target" and hit calculate and it tells you how much bleach to add.

You add the bleach, wait an hour and test again, then recalculate to reach shock level. You can do this up to hourly to speed the process up. You continue shocking, which means holding the FC as shock level, until the FC holds overnight and the CC is 0 and the water is clear. You keep testing and adding until you reach shock level. So if you don't reach it the first couple of times, keep adding it until you do.

Do this make sense? :wink:

Ok, retest the CYA level in a couple of days then... so we can see where you ended up, but 60 sounds about right after 15 lbs of Dichlor - you didn't mention how much stabilizer you added...

I had added about 2# of stabilizer at he time. OK we finally have someFC this morning. water not clear yet so will continue with the frequent testing and adding.
In retrospect I think fertilizer was the culpret due to the 2" stain on the steps where the water level was when we opened it.

That's because as a general rule if you have enough FC in your pool according to your stabilizer then algae doesn't grow, hence you don't need to kill it or prevent it. Chlorine is the best algaecide. You also won't find much clarifier use here either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.