Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
New to BBB after Baquacil conversion. I understand that proper balance and maintaining the right FC will generally prevent algae. However, stuff happens, right? I have read about borates and also poly-quat 60 as acceptable algaestats (note: I believe only chlorine to be an effective algaecide). So, what are the opinions out there?

One other question (sorry - new to BBB): Other than SWG (which I cannot afford at this time) what is the solution to leaving the pool for a week of vacation? Pucks OK in a pinch?

Non-scientific synopsis.

1. Chlorine is the choice to kill and prevent organics in your pool....bar none. It has virtually no side effects and it is the fastest, most effective killer.

2. borates apparently have some algaecidal properties. While I have never used them and don't intend to, it is apparent they can assist chlorine in doing it's job...note the word "assist".

3. I have never used algaecides, either. Many people on the forum find them useful as good preventers of algae (in particular when closing a pool)and, again, as a supplement to chlorine.

Pucks are the perfect choice for a vacation. Keep your CYA manageable prior to their use and they will not add very much (CYA) in the week or so you are gone.

Since I converted to bleach (BBB) and later to a SWG I have not had algae.

The last time we went away for over one week we did the following:
1.We had borates in the pool.
2.We turned our SWG up.
3.We placed pucks in the pool.
4.We had someone check on our pool several days.

We returned to no algae.

If I were in your shoes I would do the following:
1.Increase the Cl before I left.
2.Place pucks in the pool.
3.Add poly-quat 60.
4.Ask a friend or relative to pour bleach into the pool mid week. No testing; just pour.

I find that it is easier and cheaper to prevent algae than to fight algae after it has taken hold.

Considering 24 ppm CYA and current FC target at 4, how many pucks required for 20,000 gal.? I am totally unfamilar with slow-dissolving tabs. I expect I will also add a start-up dose of polyquat 60, as there will be nobody around to check on it.

Do you have a floater? I'd put 3 in a floater, you should be fine. If it's an inline chlorinator just fill it up and turn up the setting to the appropriate level, either midway or all the way open, not sure what would be the ideal setting on one of those.

The tablets will keep you above the "min" which is 2.... since they are constantly releasing the chlorine.

Phil,

Your CYA is a little too low. You should be around 30-40ppm....especially for vacation.

How are you measuring it to get 24ppm? The normal CYA test should be reported in increments of 10 (30,40,50,etc) as the test is no more accurate than that anyway.

Slip of the key. CYA is 20 using TF100. I can add CYA to get it up to 30-40. I will re-test tonight and get the old sock out (knee-high nylon works great). I will be using pucks to keep the FC up while away (one week). What do you recommend?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.