Starting BBB method (1st results)

Dec 10, 2009
Well guys I have had the new pool for 6 months now and kept the pool guy around since I had NO clue what I was doing (and quite frankly this might still be the case). None the less I do feel more comfortable now with taking care of the pool. What really got me started was when I noticed some allege start to stick to the sides...knew right away something wasn't right. From there I broke out my handy dandy TF100 kit that had been setting in the garage for 6 months :hammer: and completed some test. I don't have the results from that first test, but I do have where I am today and I would like your opinions on where to go from here. I have gotten this far in taking small steps using the BBB method.. :goodjob:

This morning the CL levels were at .5, I added 1 gallon of clorox and now (2 hours later) I am at 3.. :party:
PH = 7.1 :rant: (turned on a water feature to agitate the water in hopes of raising a little)
TA = 80 :?:
CYA = 70 :?
CH = 230 :|
CC = 0 :lol:
Temp is 84 (hey it's hot in H-Town...)

Any advice on where to go from here would be great!

Pool size estimate is 45000 gallons, it is 45 feet long by 15 wide and 10ft in the deep end.

If you are seeing green, you are going to need to shock.

Are you running a SWCG? If not, your CYA is a bit too high at 70. With a CYA at 70, the minimum FC you should ever have is 5. 7 should be your target. Your shock level FC is 28. You are going to need to shock, brush, and circulate until the algae is gone, your FC holds overnight, and your CC is 0.5 or less.

Your pH will come up. Good call on the aeration. It will raise it for you.

I would caution you on keeping your test kit in the garage. It gets very hot in there and this can be detrimental to the life of your testing reagents. Please keep it indoors.

Hey, CJ,

Some questions....

1. geographic location influences our responses....where is "H-town"

2. Recheck the size and gallonage of your pool....that's a very unusual shape and the gallonage doesn't work out.

3. I would leave your pH alone....it'll likely rise on it's own anyway. Use Borax instead of aeration if you still feel the need to raise it.

4. You are going to need to shock but help us with the questions above first so we can help you with your dosage.

Thanks for the feedback...I am going to try to answer all these questions..

I am in Houston TX, the allege is mostly gone and the water is crystal clear for what that is worth. There are some very very slight traces of it on the walls of the deep end. I brush and comes right off the wall. I am going to clean the cartridges today to help clean the water a little more.

Not running SWG
The test kit now has a home in the utility room (air conditioned)...I will heed your advice.

I am going to add another gallon of clorox tonight to get the clorine levels up a little more per your advise. The pool calculator says I need to replace water to lower the CYA, what do you suggest?

So...where to go from here?

Well, you can lower the CYA level by replacing some water to get it to 50 or so, or you can try and manage with 70 and they CYA will slowly drift down.
Just maintain the proper FC ratio (refer to the chart) for your CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The mods should be along to weigh in with a more expert opinion, but I don't swim when I'm shocking. I finish shocking (until overnight loss is 1 ppm or less and CC is 0.5 ppm or less) and then give the chlorine one day to burn off some in the sun. If I'm done shocking and FC is anything less than shock level (and I can clearly see the bottom of the deep end), the pool is open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.