Pay for cake toper style step install???

Titus

Jun 3, 2010
Nevada, TX
I was reviewing the estimate from my pool installer, and he added $50 for installing my steps (The Step II by Access). It seems to me that this should be an easy install, and shouldn't take much longer that the ladder install (that he wouldn't have charged for if we had gone that way). Am I missing something? For $50, I am thinking I will tell him to just leave the steps in the box and I will do it after he is done with the rest. Is this install really as easy as I am imagining?

There are a couple of differences if done correctly. Cake steps have a bit more assembly than common steps and they have weights that have to be filled and hung or placed. They're also heavier and usually require more people to set in the pool than ladders do. However, if you want to save the $50 there's nothing about them that you can't do yourself.

Just a quick follow-up... I did this myself, and it was easy enough. That said, I wish I wasn't such a cheap ******* and had just paid the $50. It was no fun spending a couple hours in the Texas sun working on the steps the first day the pool was ready for swimming. I also ended up spending $15 to get 2 5 gallon buckets with lids and 2 bags of quickrete to weight the steps down, so I really only saved $35. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.