Return Fitting Stopper Broke

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

Maybe someone has come across this in the past and has a fix.

In one of my return fittings I had the standard stopper inside it. The kind that has the plastic coming up on 2 sides, and you stick a screw driver in between them and use them as leverage to turn. Well mine must have been old and brittle because when I went to go take it out, the plastic on one side broke right off. So then I tried using a wrench on the other side and it broke right off too.

So now it's stuck in there and I'm not sure how I'm gonna get this out. Tried a large pipe wrench on the outside, but that wasn't working. Anyone have any advice? Maybe it's happen to you and you've got a trick to get it out when this happens?

Null, more trouble?!? It's just not fair! :rant:

I've got a way to handle this, but don't want to post it in the open (it risks major damage to the pool - but I have faith that you'll follow it to the letter and have no problems) , I'll PM you the 'method' in a few hours - I'm just about to go out and it'll take a few minutes to find the post I'm looking for. In the meantime, get a hacksaw blade, a flathead screwdriver and a hammer ready :)

I was trying with a strap wrench. It's tough though because it's only like a millimeter thick of plastic to work with. I'll go run out and see if I can't find a better strap wrench (mine's not the best) and see if I can't find a wrench that might do a better job also.

Waste...don't go too crazy looking for it. With those broken off, the return still can flow water. So I've got time. Plus I've got a pool full of water...

Thanks guys!

Ahhhh....Got It! Thank god! Big Box Hardware store had a large pair of pliers that were v-shaped. i.e. curved so that it could better grip the stopper. That did it.

Thanks for the help guys!

lol...I wish...there's lots more to come ;)

My project consisted of:

Remove concrete around pool
Replumb pool
Run new electric line
Excavate pool area
Replace aluminum coping with track coping
Put excavated material in side yard (level and raise that)
Put new stone (pavers) around pool (650 sq ft)
Put stone coping in
Lay new concrete equipment pad
Replace pool fence
Build 20X20 deck
Build pool shed
Lots of landscaping
Install landscape and area lighting
Install irrigation system
Replace grass in side yard

I'm currently finishing laying the base and compacting it and getting ready to put the stone down :party: Deck building starts in a month or two.

I'm hoping to be done with pool stuff soon. Right now I've got bubbles in my return I'm tracking down. Once I get that, I should be good. I've got a few sources that could be the culprits. Otherwise, you'll see me back soon :)

Thanks again man! Appreciate everything! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.