new owner, valve help

Jun 12, 2010
Hi,
I purchased a home with pool and spa last August. The owners did not leave any information about the schematics on valve operation or anything related to the pool. I do know the pumps are hayward and it has a sand filter by hayward and a natural gas heater. In normal operation the spa overflows into the pool, however, after we had a guy close our pool, when we opened it and turned the pumps on, the water drains out of the spa and now the water level in the pool is above the skimmer box. I attached some pictures of the system, so if there are any suggestions, please help me!

Thanks

[attachment=0:39lglpj1]2010-06-11 16.44.53.JPG[/attachment:39lglpj1]
[attachment=1:39lglpj1]2010-06-11 16.44.46.JPG[/attachment:39lglpj1]
[attachment=2:39lglpj1]2010-06-11 16.44.38.JPG[/attachment:39lglpj1]

Attachments

• 2010-06-11 16.44.38.JPG
    2010-06-11 16.44.38.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 2010-06-11 16.44.46.JPG
    2010-06-11 16.44.46.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 2010-06-11 16.44.53.JPG
    2010-06-11 16.44.53.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 43
You have two three way valves (three pipes come into them), two simple on off valves (two pipes), and one check valve (two pipes, clear cover, no handle).

In the last photo, the 3-way valve on the left controls water going to either the pool, spa, or both. The current position is to go both places. Handle to the left should be spa and handle to the right should be pool. The other 3-way valve (slightly further back) is the suction control. It is currently set to both pool and spa. The other position is handle to the left, which should be spa only.

The second 3-way valve is not installed the way I would expect, so there is some chance that they have reconfigured the handle to work in a non-standard way, which could invalidate my description of how this valve works. It is difficult to be sure. A little experimenting should clear things up.

The two valves on the right are simple on off valves. I strongly suspect that one controls the skimmer(s) and the other controls the main drain(s). Right now the left hand one is on and the right hand one is off.

To run in spa overflow mode you want the return valve in both pool and spa position, which I believe it is now. You also want the suction valve is pool only position. This is where things get a little strange, because if that valve handle is configured normally, it won't have a pool only position. That is why I suspect that the handle has been put on in a non-standard way. If so, it is difficult to predict which position is going to be pool only without some experimentation or taking it apart and checking how the handle is installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.