Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test results

1. Back To Top    #1

First test results

Here are my initial test results. What do I act on first?

FC: 4.0
    CC: 0
    Ph: 7.8
    TA: 80
    CH: 400
    CYA: 30
    Temp: 71
    Salt: 3200

My gut says to adress the CYA as the manufacturer's suggested range is 60-80 ppm. While the CH is at the high end of the ideal range proposed by AquaLogic/ Goldline (200-400 ppm), I have some landscaping dirt blowing into the pool that may be causing the elevated number. The calculator indicates nearly five pounds of cyanuric acid. Can I pour this into the skimmer basket even though I use a cartridge filter? What other parameters are likely to change as a result of increasing the CYA? Where do I go first? Also, as I am transitioning from having a pool service (he shows up on Fridays, dumps in some muriatic acid and leaves, uh exits) should I wait until after he does his thing on Friday since it takes a week for the CYA to dissolve?
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

2. Back To Top    #2
    Put the cya in a sock and hang in from a ladder, or put it in the skimmer.

I would lower the pH a smidge.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    The CH level shouldn't be a problem unless it goes up.

CYA in a cartridge filter is fine. However, if you put the CYA in the skimmer it is important to not clean the filter for a week. That is why the sock approach The Mermaid Queen suggested is popular, no need to worry about the filter at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I got the pH down to 7.4. As far as the sock goes, do you mean a regular athletic sock or is there a special pool sock? Sheesh.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by flintstone
    As far as the sock goes, do you mean a regular athletic sock or is there a special pool sock? Sheesh.
    a tube sock would be fine... a knee high stocking would also work.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!