Are we doing this right?

Jun 4, 2010
Just starting to try to get the pool balanced. Got the Taylor K2006. Just tested the FC and CYA, and if we did it right, our numbers are:
FC 5
CYA 20? (question mark because the CYA level was at the top of the tube, ie less than 30 ppm)

Now, pool calculator says we need 373 oz bleach to get to shock level (pool is cloudy), and 48 0z stabilizer to raise cya to 30.

Am I on right track?

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

Yes, your numbers from the Pool Calculator are correct, so you are on the right track. If you were at the top of the tube for CYA and could still see the black dot, you are less than 20 ppm, though. I would add for 40 ppm and see where you are in a week. When you add the stabilizer, put it in a sock in front of one of your returns. That will help it dissolve. And, for the next week, assume your CYA is 40. Don't test until next weekend since CYA dissolves pretty slowly. Testing before that will just be a waste of your reagents.

It is also helpful if you post your full test results (FC, CC, TC, pH, CH, TA). That way we can let you know if anything else needs to be done :-D .

You will need more bleach. That will get you to shock but it is important to stay at shock by continually testing and adding bleach as it is consumed by the pool. Read "How to shock your Pool" up in Pool School.

Since you are below the minimum of 30 on the K-2006 view tube, you may have less CYA than you think. Have you put some CYA in your pool this season? Do you see definite cloudiness to the water, even though you can see the dot?

the dot in the cya tube disappeared just as the water got to the top. The water in the tube was not cloudy. It is hard to tell what our pool really looks like cause the color we painted it is a medium turquoise. So is the water green from algae or just the color it will be from the turquoise paint! AArrgghh! All we know is you can't see to the bottom in the deep end (10').
We will add to 40 ppm. Our stabilizer is granular ...do we still put it in a sock?

We haven't done our other numbers except with a test strip (bought while waiting on our test kit). On that our PH is 7.5, TA 120, CH 200 ...know these aren't precise, but we are too traumitized (chicken?) to get those other numbers yet with the test kit. Do you realize how scary it is for noobs to test? I am reading directions over and over while hubby is getting the water (new sample for each test), we are terrified of using too many drops or doing it wrong and wasting our kit, lol.

You should do the PH test before you start shocking tho - that one's easy! just put water in the tube and add 5 drops and compare colors... :)

Yes, add granular CYA in a sock. By hanging it in front of a return, it dissolves slowly there, and you don't need to worry about having to clean the filter (which usually is necessary when clearing a pool.) Don't retest for it for about 5-7 days it takes that long to fully dissolve and register. however, once the CYA has dissolved out of the sock, just assume your CYA level is that amount, and adjust your shock level accordingly (refer to the chart.)

Hope this helps :)

luvmygbabies said:
We haven't done our other numbers except with a test strip (bought while waiting on our test kit). On that our PH is 7.5, TA 120, CH 200 ...know these aren't precise, but we are too traumitized (chicken?) to get those other numbers yet with the test kit. Do you realize how scary it is for noobs to test? I am reading directions over and over while hubby is getting the water (new sample for each test), we are terrified of using too many drops or doing it wrong and wasting our kit, lol.

"traumatized" :?: Most of us have been there. That's how we got to TFP. It's nice to see your teamwork. Many of us had to go it alone. :sad:

The great people here are very kind and have the patience of saints. Take a deep breath. You will do just fine. You have made a great start learning about the importance of water balance and ordering a good test kit.

Eventually much of it will become second nature and you'll both be so proud of your accomplishments. You will have the most beautiful pool in the neighborhood (and the most sanitary).

Well today we did more numbers:
fc 14
ph 7.4
ta 130
ch 140

the water is getting clearer, but still can't see to bottom in deep end. can see maybe 5 feet down. how many days should we expect the process to take (getting it ready to swim, I have four granddaughters chomping at the bit)

And thanks everyone for this board. We were going to buy a SWG, but I convinced my husband to go BBB. Even tho it is taking time, it has been easier than our old AG SWG pool. I wouldn't attempt BBB without this board, and the pool calculator!

I was like you when I first got my kit. I also have the k-2006. I bought it in January and didn't use it until May :hammer:
I read all the directions that came with the kit and was way toooo overwhelmed. :shock: Then once I saw everything on the inside top of the box I knew I could do it. And boy it's a breeze now! I think I could actually do it with my eyes closed if I didn't need to see the colors LOL!

Good luck! Use that kit - you'll do fine!

Thanks, it seems once you get past "TA ... now what did that stand for again?" it gets easier, lol. Our granddaughters had to watch and count with us, they were so excited about it. It was not so "tramatic" the second time, and I know it will get better. We had a AG SWG and used tests strips for two years, and I still couldn't tell you what the symbols stood for. I jokingly tell hubby that CYA stands for "cover your Rear" abn keep your chlorine! Being a retired Navy chief, he's familiar with that phrase!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also keep a daily record of what I'm testing. I have a note book and I write
day, date and time
FC
CC
pH
I test these daily or every other day.

On Sundays I test
FC
CC
ph
TA
CH

On first of the month I test (until I get the hang of my water, evaporation, backwashing and all that)
CYA

I test in the order of the box. Your box may be in a different order so check it out. It helps testing the same thing everytime. Even if I don't have to.

luvmygbabies said:
the water is getting clearer, but still can't see to bottom in deep end. can see maybe 5 feet down. how many days should we expect the process to take (getting it ready to swim, I have four granddaughters chomping at the bit)

Unfortunately, every pool is different, which makes answering that question difficult. It could be a matter of days or a couple of weeks. I can tell you, though, that you are well on your way if you can see about five feet down. If you keep FC consistently at shock level and brush, brush, brush you will minimize the amount of time it will take.

Still cloudy in the deep end...hmmmm... Poor circulation? Is the main drain working? Is there a valve for it? Do you have a diverter in the skimmer to get some flow down there? Soon as I got that one figured in my pool, and dropped a $10 flying saucer in below the skimmer basket, what a difference. Brush towards the drain, stuff gets pulled in and goes away. The water is the same temperature from surface to the very bottom, too. Which would indicate to me that it's mixing well, so the chemicals must be mixing well too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.