CC stuck at 1 how to lower to .5

May 1, 2010
We converted our pool in the last week and are loving it!
Everything has been going according to your recommendations. We have kept our levels at 15ppm for the last several days, have had two nights with no FC loss, added stabilizer to reach 40, raised our ph from 7.0-7.2 with Mule Team, and in the midst have had CC reach .5 only one time. It continues to test at 1. How can I reach the goal? Could it have something to do with putting our solar cover on since we were previous baq users?

Current results:
FC 12
CC 1
TC 13
ph 7.2
TA 150
CH 200
CYA 28 (added the borax three days ago, tested this am)

Thanks for your advice!

How old is the cover, how long was it used with the Baq, how big is the pool? It may just be simpler to replace it? That's most likely the cause.

In any event sunlight destroys CCs - so you should leave the cover off and let the sun do that work, consider manually cleaning the cover with a bleach and water solution off the pool with a nylon brush - but inspect the bubbles for popped ones that could be harboring baq goo. If it wouldn't be too much money and the cover is more than 2 years old I'd just get a new one if you can.

lagaskell said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this entry - did you add borax in order to raise CYA? Or maybe you meant stabilizer instead of borax? Or maybe you know something I don't (very likely) and that you need to wait to test CYA after adding borax? Just curious.

Thanks for the quick response!
We have a 21ft AG that is three years old. Our solar cover is in great shape and I'd rather not replace it. I like the scrub it down idea, how strong should I make the bleach solution? We added the solar cover towards the end of the process and kept the FC at 15 for two more days.

We did replace our DE after the FC levels held and the CC dropped to .5.

crek31 said:
lagaskell said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this entry - did you add borax in order to raise CYA? Or maybe you meant stabilizer instead of borax? Or maybe you know something I don't (very likely) and that you need to wait to test CYA after adding borax? Just curious.

I added the borax to raise my ph. I had added the stabilizer through the sock/skimmer method and tested in three days rather than waiting the full week since I had dissolved it. I had also added 4lbs of stabilizer per the pool calculator, so I expect my CYA to reach 35-40 in a week.

Your solar cover should be fine. Having it in the pool for a while with the FC level at 15 will have cleaned it off just fine.

However, you don't want to actually use the solar cover for several more days. You need sunlight directly hitting the water to help lower your CC level. After several days the CC level should go low enough that using the solar cover will be fine again. But for now, leave it off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.