Autofill valve leaking

Jun 11, 2010
I have an autofill valve that is constantly running. Its a toilet float type.

The leak is around where the brass/metal valve is encased by the plastic/rubber grommet type fitting. Any ideas on how to repair?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

It is tricky to diagnose without seeing it, but I cna think of two common possibilities. Most like it is leaking around the threaded fitting where the brass valve is screwed into the plastic fitting. If so, you can remove it, clean the threads, apply pipe dope, and re-install. Another possibility is that the plastic fitting is cracked, in which case the plastic fitting will need to be replaced.

Here is a pic. The leak can be seen by my finger where the metal valve meets the plastic fitting. The plastic fitting does not appear to have any cracks.

So the metal valve actually screws out? I tried but it wouldn't budge.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    418 KB · Views: 65
The metal valve should screw out of the plastic fitting. Looks like it's got some teflon tape on it so you may get by with removing it, cleaning it up and either using paste or t-tape again and screwing it back in. Be sure to inspect the brass piece to make sure it isn't cracked.

You are correct, I removed the valve and the threading had been stripped in a couple of areas (who knows how, maybe at install or pre-install). I managed to apply enough teflon tape to stop the leak now, and have ordered a replacement valve from the manufacturer.

Thanks for the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.