MY POOL IS SHOCKING ME (literally)

G

it it is strange, it only happens at certain times during the day and only in certian spots.

if you are standing on the side walk and stick your hand in the pool, it feels like you are sticking your hand in an electrical socket, if you are in the pool and touch the side of the pool, your entire body feels like it is being jolted, and it only hapens

near returns or skimmers

Your pool is not properly bonded. Because it is bad near returns and skimmers, you might want to check the bonding lug on the pump to see if there is a wire there. This is a life threatening situation, and needs to be fixed. Is your pump leaking out the bottom by any chance? You may want to find out if the electrical work on the pool was inspected. Try shutting off the breakers for the pool lights and pumps to see if that changes it. There is really no easy fix. You might stop the shock now, but you wouldn't feel it if the pool was properly bonded.

well it is more a tingle than an actual shock, it not like sticking a hair dryer in the pool, it just sorta tingls you almost like bubbles, there is a LARGE green whire running from the pump to a metel grate on the side of the ouse is theis the ground.

also like i say it happens only twice a day, and my system runs 24/7 has all season. no leaks, everything is tight, and you can feel it in the pool, and every body i have talked to thinks i am crazy, because other people stick their hand in, and dont feel anything, do i have electric skin or somthing :lol: :roll:

Rollin Thunder said:
well it is more a tingle than an actual shock, it not like sticking a hair dryer in the pool, it just sorta tingls you almost like bubbles, there is a LARGE green whire running from the pump to a metel grate on the side of the ouse is theis the ground.

also like i say it happens only twice a day, and my system runs 24/7 has all season. no leaks, everything is tight, and you can feel it in the pool, and every body i have talked to thinks i am crazy, because other people stick their hand in, and dont feel anything, do i have electric skin or somthing :lol: :roll:

Often people with cuts or nicks on their hands can feel it more easily.

JohnT said:
Rollin Thunder said:

Often people with cuts or nicks on their hands can feel it more easily.

i am a mechnic so i use my hands alot and cut them alot, that makes sense, i went out and looked and talked to the inspector who inspected the house before we bought it and he said that the pool was in excellent shape for how old it was with original plumming, i saked him about the ground and he said it was all up to code and he thinks its newer than the pool.

You should verify that the pool is properly bonded as soon as possible. I suspect there is probably more than one problem, improper bonding and probably some electrical leakage that shouldn't be there in addition. Fairly low voltages can be fatal when you are wet. This is a serious problem that should be adressed as soon as possible.

If you as handy with a multimeter and have a long piece of wire you can check the bonding yourself. The reistance between any pair of metal things that touch the water should be very very low, a couple of ohms at most. That includes the pump, heater, SWG, ladders, etc. Likewise the voltage between the water and anything metal should be very very low, a small fraction of a volt.

Very few "standard" pool inspections actually test the bonding. Generally they look to see if the bonding wire is there, but don't check to see if it is actually connected to the right things. Sometimes they don't even check for a bonding wire. My pool passed a reinspection but later it turned out that neither the pump or heater was actually bonded.

like i say every thing has been inspected and up to code, my pool guy has looked at it and i even have the inspected papers showing is up to code. i dont think its my equipment, i put a positive and a negative volt meter and got so small of reading it didn't show up on the screen, positive on concrete neg in water and vice versa.
I dont think it is my equipment because it runs 24/7 and has all season, it happens once maybe twice a day, and all my equipment runs all day, booster pump regular pump and light on or off dont make a difference.
and now come to think of it, it does not feel like a shock and i have felt a shock, ever had to test a spark plug to see if it had charge, when i did plyers on the lead and crank it and BOOM, it feals nothing like that, almost like a tickle.

Rollin Thunder said:
like i say every thing has been inspected and up to code, my pool guy has looked at it and i even have the inspected papers showing is up to code. i dont think its my equipment, i put a positive and a negative volt meter and got so small of reading it didn't show up on the screen, positive on concrete neg in water and vice versa.
I dont think it is my equipment because it runs 24/7 and has all season, it happens once maybe twice a day, and all my equipment runs all day, booster pump regular pump and light on or off dont make a difference.
and now come to think of it, it does not feel like a shock and i have felt a shock, ever had to test a spark plug to see if it had charge, whell i did, many times, plyers on the lead and crank it and BOOM, it feals nothing like that, almost like a tickle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.