Want to turn my pool to blue color.

earnie

May 27, 2009
I have inground pool with hayward cartrige super star clear filter system.
I have been using BBB method since last year mainly using bleach.
In winter its was blue and clear now in summer no matter how much bleach i put it is still light green.

First want to clean the cartridge filter system (hopefully i can take lids off)
I have walmart brand hth test strip. I know eventually buy the the expensive testing kit mention in the forum.

My current stats are using hth test strip is

TH 200
FC 0
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 0

I put lot of bleach but it never turn blue almost 2 (10%) + 1 (6%) last week one gal bucket.
I guess i need to bump up my CYA level. Whats the best CYA brand leslie has it for 7.99.
Should i put cya and than dump more Chlorine? or vice versa anything else looks low than let me know.

wow YOU DONT KNOW THE MEANING OF lots of bleach. most people put 20 or 30 gallons in it your shock level is got to be over 12 with no cya and with no cya all the bleach justin disapears in a day or two, im sure othere wil have so much more help, my sugestion is to get 20 0r 30 gallons, you will use them in the next week. get a good test kit as soon as u can post the numbers and have the pro's here get your pool sparkling

earnie said:
I have inground pool with hayward cartrige super star clear filter system.
In winter its was blue and clear now in summer no matter how much bleach i put it is still light green.

I have walmart brand hth test strip. I know eventually buy the the expensive testing kit mention in the forum.

My current stats are using hth test strip is

TH 200
FC 0
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 0

I put lot of bleach but it never turn blue almost 2 (10%) + 1 (6%) last week one gal bucket.
I guess i need to bump up my CYA level. Whats the best CYA brand leslie has it for 7.99.
Should i put cya and than dump more Chlorine? or vice versa anything else looks low than let me know.
Can you provide more info about the pool specs/equipment?
Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

1. Read the articles in Pool School.
2. Whatever bleach/chlorine you've added can be burned up in a single day without CYA. CYA can be purchased at Wal-Mart (stabilizer or conditioner) or your pool supplier. Get the CYA in the water ASAP.
CYA is CYA; just make sure that it's 96-100% CYA. There is some out there that's 50%.
3. From the sounds of it, you have some algae; hence the green water. In order to kill the algae you need to know what your chemical levels are and the best way is with the TF100 kits that you've ready about.
I started with strips, went to a Wal-Mart kit, a pool store kit, THEN to the TF100. In the end, I'd spent more for the junk test kits that didn't do the job that the TF100 cost.

Keep us posted, and we like pictures!

Terry in NC :cool:

playfulthrills said:
wow YOU DONT KNOW THE MEANING OF lots of bleach. most people put 20 or 30 gallons in it your shock level is got to be over 12 with no cya and with no cya all the bleach justin disapears in a day or two, im sure othere wil have so much more help, my sugestion is to get 20 0r 30 gallons, you will use them in the next week. get a good test kit as soon as u can post the numbers and have the pro's here get your pool sparkling

Folks, before suggesting to someone to buy 20-30 gals of bleach :shock: , we need to get some more pool details. What if this is a 10K gal pool or 100K gal pool? Earnie will need bleach, but no need to purchase that much, until we know the OP will need it. :goodjob: Also, since CYA may be 0...using dichlor would not be out of the question either.

Earnie...welcome to TFP..if you want to stop wasting money...you NEED a good test kit :goodjob: Yes $70 may be expensive, but it will tell you what you need to add to your water, instead of guessing. So far you are out the 10% and 6% you purchased, because most likely did not add enough. I'd suggest the TF100 from tftestkits.net or the taylor k-2006.

How old are your strips? There could be multiple issues with CYA reading zero. Perhaps you could at least post some test results from the pool store?

Read Pool School, as Richard suggested....including the two articles below

http://www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae

Thanks Thanks Thanks to all of you!
I have 10,000 gallon inground pool

Yes i will get the strip soon but until than i have to rely on my strip which is only 6 month old. I read the pool school so thats why i said CYA. But still want the suggestion from the expert here. Thanks for suggesting the walmart brand (HTH) CYA will buy it today and pour in it. Should i keep my pump on for 24 hours after pouring in the CYA.
How much CYA do i need? i guess one bucket of walmart brand will be good or will use the pool caculator. After pouring CYA how long should i wait to dump the cholrine?

Use the pool calc to figure out how much CYA to add, and yes the HTH from Walmart is fine.
Use the "sock method" to add CYA - wait for it to dissolve and then retest in 5-7 days. Assume however that the target amount is your new CYA level and adjust the FC accordingly once it has dissolved.
Keep the pump running while the CYA dissolves. You can add bleach any time it has no affect on the CYA addition.
Do not pour the CYA directly into the pool or the skimmer, be sure to use the sock method. The reason is this way you can still backwash/clean the filter without losing any CYA.

I went to pool store to test my water. I guess my strip were giving wrong reading.
After testing the water I WAS SURPRISED the guys said my water is good to swim i don't know need any chemical (he try to sell me some phosfree organic stuff) said may be that will kill my green stuff. I didn't buy it should i buy it?
My cholrine was 2.5 (2-4 range)
CYA was 30 within the range of 30-50. will increase it little since i already bought hth from walmart
Everything else was was within the range, he was like you don't need anything they always sell me something whenever i go to the store i was shock.
But my water is still green i can't see bottom of my pool or the pool cleaner.
I clean my cartridge filter today very green, cleaned after long time, may be thats the reason????
The cartridge appear white instead of green from outside after hosing them with water for 1 hour. can i soak the cartridge in some chemical/soap so they will remove all the Crud inside it?
Now i don't know what else to do to make my pool blue or atleast see bottom of the pool :(

Check out the pool calc in my siggy. Plug your numbers in and it will tell you how much to add to start shocking. You need to hold the shock <high chlorine> for up to 3-5 days or more to clear the green from your pool.

It is highly recommended that you purchase a good test kit so you don't have to guess and run to the pool store everyday <link can also be found in my siggy>. If you haven't already, read Pool School and if you have, read it again. You'll have a nice blue pool soon.

Hi earnie,

It is easy to become overwhelmed with all the information. But, if you stick with us, we'll help you take control of your pool.

earnie said:
Now i don't know what else to do to make my pool blue or atleast see bottom of the pool
Scroll back up to dmanb2b's post and read the articles he linked. Anything you do not understand, let us know.

Here's a link to clean a cart: how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

Also, assuming your CYA is 30, I suggest that you do NOT add additional CYA until after you are done shocking.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.