Test Kit Help

Jun 8, 2007
Arkansas
I wasn't sure what forum to post this in so I just put it here.

I have a 6 way HTH Test kit... the drop kit and the directions for it have gotten ruined.
I need to test my pool, as it is very yucky and not sure what is wrong with it.

Anyone have directions they can post, or where to get them online?

My water had what I thought was pollen in the bottom of it due to lack of use for about 2 weeks and heavy rain and trees all around it. I got in and got the leafs out and tried to vacume but it just stirred it up and is now a nasty yellow/green

Ive kept the CL level higher than normal (in shock stage for about a week) and still very high after that just to make sure it was all dying. If I can get some help w/ this test kit directions, maybe I can get some help on what to do

Nice to see another Arky also!

I didnt even go to that website yet... I got PO'd at the pool cuz i put a regular tube sock over one of the returns and it was filtering out all sorts of that pollen Crud that got stirred up. My filter wasnt catching all of it...

So I decided to drain the pool. which has taken a full day so far and not done yet.
I will clean it out and refill and make sure I use the cover this time. lol

The 6 way HTH test kit is pretty easy.

You rinse and fill each side of the chlorine and ph tester to the line at the top of each side.
Then on the chlorine side (yellow side) you apply 5 drops from the bottle that has the yellow cap on it.
You apply 5 drops of the red capped bottle to the pH side (the red side).
Place the appropriate tops to each side.
Invert a couple of times to mix.
Compare the color the the indicators in the center.

For the alk test. Rinse and fill the plastic cylinder to the 25mL mark.
Add 5 drops from the bottle with the green cap that says "add 5 drops"
swirl to mix the drops - the sample should turn green.
Use the other bottle with the green cap and add 1 drop at a time while swirling the cylinder until the color turns full pink/red.
Multiply the number of drops it took to turn it pink/red by 10.

For the hardness test. Rinse and fill the plastic cylinder to the 25mL mark.
Add 5 drops from the blue capped bottle that says "add 5 drops"
Swirl to mix - it should turn pink/red if there is hardness.
Use the other blue capped bottle to add 1 drop at a time until the sample turns blue. swirl while adding the drops.
Multiply the number of drops it took to turn it blue by 10.

For the CYA test.
Rinse and fill the small opaque bottle to the 7 mL bottom mark with your sample water.
Add the white capped bottle to the above bottle to bring it to the 14 mL mark.
Mix for 30 seconds.
Slowly transfer the mixture to the CYA view tube while looking down the tube.
When the big black dot at the bottom of that tube just disappears, read the level you have filled the tube.

Beware, that if you test kit is over a year old - your agents may not be good any more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.