Help needed with Feet of head

Titus

Jun 3, 2010
Nevada, TX
I am getting ready to purchase a 32x16 DoughBoy and I am trying to make a decision on filter/pump selection and placement. I tried reading the Hydraulics 101 thread, but it made my head spin.

The dealer is recommending a Waterway Clearwater II above ground DE Filter (67 GPM, 18 sqft filter), with a Waterway Hi-Flo 2 speed 1.5 hp pump. He is telling me that with this setup I need to have the pump and filter no more than 23 feet from the pool. I told him that I would ideally like the filter 60' from the pool, or could live with an alternate location about 35' from the pool. He told me that to accomplish this, I would need to upgrade both the pump and filter to one designed for in-ground pools, as the Clearwater II could not handle the higher pressures that would be generated by a pump that could cover the distance. He is supposed to call me back with models and prices of what he recommends to cover 35 or 60'.

Does this sound reasonable? Do I have any other options like changing the pipe diameters? What would be the affect of ignoring the dealers recommendation and placing the above ground filter at 35' (50% further than his max recommended distance of 23')?

Thanks in advanced!

60' feet won't be a problem if you get an appropriate pump/filter. Very few of the standard above ground pumps can handle going that kind of distance.

Large diameter pipe helps, and rigid is better than flexible, but 60' still won't work with your average above ground pump.

After taking the comments hear into consideration along with a long talk with the installer and then with the dealer, I went ahead and got an in-ground pump and filter. I ended up with a Pentair DE FNS Plus 48 with Pentair Challenger 1.5 hp. Thanks guys!

OK guys... new but related question. As I said, I will be using have the Pentair Challenger High Head 1.5hp in ground pump. I would like to have the plumbing run 30', make a 90 degree turn, and then go another 30'. The dealer and installer have agreed that the new pump can handle this, but the installer is recommending a 42.5' direct run for better performance. I understand his point, but this would put the line right under where we plan to put 2 raised vegetable garden planters. If I ever have a problem with the line and it needs to be dug up, I would have a lot more work on my hands if there was raised planters over the lines. I have included a visual in case my description is not clear.

So I guess my question is about the trade-off... is it worth adding 17.5' and a 90 degree turn to the head in order to make potential future maintenance easier?

Attachments

• line layout.JPG
    line layout.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 233
Assuming you will use all 2" pipe for both the suction and return and your pump is an uprated one, the approximate difference in head loss is the following:

45 angle: 79 GPM at 53'of head
90 angle: 77 GPM at 55' of head

Not a big difference.

Titus said:
I ended up with a Pentair DE FNS Plus 48

I predict you'll like this filter much better than the original choice. I have the 36 version of it. Make sure you get the multi-port valve they make for it, gives you the convenience of easy backwash, waste, re-circulate, etc.

Rangeball said:
Titus said:
I ended up with a Pentair DE FNS Plus 48

I predict you'll like this filter much better than the original choice. I have the 36 version of it. Make sure you get the multi-port valve they make for it, gives you the convenience of easy backwash, waste, re-circulate, etc.

Cool... my receipt shows "Pentair 263064 2 Inch PVC Slide Pool Pump Backwash Valve".

Pretty sure that's this one-

21JSQSD60DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't see how it will let you vacuum to waste which is very handy. If possible, I suggest you get this one instead-

aa261177-2.jpg

A few more dollars, but well worth it in my opinion. Your guy should know what you want if you tell him you'd like the multi-port valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK... I think your right. Bad news is, the pool and all the parts were already delivered today. The good news is the crew has already started the build and I had the slide valve on my last pool so I at least know how to work with it. When it wears out, I will take a look at the multi-port for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.