Brand New Pool - PH Question

Jun 8, 2010
Millersville, MD
Ok new pool owner of a brand new pool.

Pebblesheen finish was installed 6-2-10, Water delivered on 6-3-10, Pool Service added 10 gallons of Muriatic Acid on 6-4-10. We were told to Brush finish atleast twice a day and add 14 bags of Easy PH Powder (PH Stablizer) on the 5th day. We added the Easy PH on 6-8-10 as instructed. The instructions state to wait 24-48 hours to test the PH Level and once the PH Level reaches 7.2 or higher we can turn on the pump equipment and add Cholrine tablets to skimmers. We are to run Cholrine Tablets for 30 days until we start using the mineral springs chemical system.

We keep testing the water only to see the famous Yellow color that means we haven't gotten to 6.8 or higher. It is now 6-11-10 with no change to the readings on the test. When I called the pool service yesterday they said it could take 3-5 days to see a budge in the PH level. They said to brush the pool as much as possible to circulate the water.

Does it sound right that the PH Is so low that we should not see some results by now? Any suggestions that won't comprimise finish or equipment?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, I think that is normal. Sounds like they did an acid start and it make take a few days to see that pH rise some more.

Be sure to keep brushing like they suggested.

With a brand new pool, I do not think that I would do anything which would contradict the instructions provided by the installers.

Except the part about using Mineral Springs...unless you don't mind the expense? Their private label is just really expensive versions of Borax, Baking Soda, Salt and CH balancers.

Read more about the ABCs of Pool Water chemistry and BBB for Beginners, in Pool School. :)

Enjoy your new pool!

Run the pump and get the pool circulating. I have no idea why they would tell you to leave stagnant water in the pool :roll: Keep an eye on your levels (like you are doing) and run the pump for 6-8 hours a day, more if/when you add CYA. Keep brushing (if you want. Didn't they do a water wash the first day, and an acid wash and polish the second day?) and go enjoy the pool.

PebbleTec is extremely durable, and there is no reason that you should be doing this (I have never heard of a pool being out of service after plaster! In fact, I require a working pump before I will allow a pool to be finished!). I also have no idea how they expect chemicals to "blend" if the pump is not running :roll:

This is exactly the same thing my PB told me to do. I am about 2-3 days behind you as I put the Easy PH Powder in this morning. WHo is your PB? Not turning on the equipment until the pH is up in 2-3 days (they haven't even showed me how to turn the pump on). And brush, brush! Or more likely stir, stir

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE:

Took pool sample to the Service company location on Sunday Morning. PH Tested lower than 6.0. They gave me 4 more bags of Easy PH Powder and told me to put one in now and brush pool. Wait 4-5 hours test pool and if not at 7.2 then do another bag and so on. Got it 7.2 after 1st bag.

So we got to start the pump and added chlorine Tablets and she is off and running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.