Help needed - 2 issues

May 23, 2010
Arizona
I have 2 issues.

1. I have spots on the pool surface. I have attached pictures.
2. I have one black spot much different than item 1 above and a black "line" the size of an inch or inch and a half on the side wall. Have pictures for this also.

Hopefully the members / contributors can identify and suggest remedies. As always thanks to all and really appreciate your time.

ifmx4ever

Attachments

• SDC10083.JPG
    SDC10083.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 183
  • SDC10082.JPG
    SDC10082.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 183
  • SDC10081.JPG
    SDC10081.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 183
frustratedpoolmom said:
Have you done anything to try and get rid of these spots?

I have tried to scrub the brown spots - no result. I forgot to mention that the spots are prevalent all over the pool.
I have shocked the pool by add 1 gal of chlorine 10 % to raise the FC to shock level. But that was when I did not have the TF 100 test kit. Could not tell how much the FC went up to. But when tested later I saw FC at 13 and since a couple of days have past by and this morning FC is at 10.5. CC I believe is at 0 since when adding the 5 drops of 0003 solution the water remained clear.
An overnight FC loss test showed a drop by 1ppm. FC dropped from 13 to 12. No CC still. Have not repeated the overnight test again.

PS: I also need to mention that the black spots have been there for at least 4 years now. Since I shocked by adding 1 gal of cholrine, the spot kinda looks smeared now.

try vitamin c on the small brown spots, see if they change in appearance or fade.
On the black stain, try brushing it with a pool brush, and holding a trichlor tablet on the spot... is it raised? hard to tell from the pic.

frustratedpoolmom said:
try vitamin c on the small brown spots, see if they change in appearance or fade.
On the black stain, try brushing it with a pool brush, and holding a trichlor tablet on the spot... is it raised? hard to tell from the pic.

The vitamin C at home contains other ingredients apart from ascorbic acid. I want to check out other brands in the store to make sure if I can get some with just ascorbic acid.

With respect to the black stain, it is not raised. I held a trichlor puck on the spot - no effect. On the "streak / line" black stain, I completely covered it by rubbing on it with the trichlor puck and made it completely covered with the white trichlor "chlorine" stuff. Left it like that overnight and this morning it still shows.

These are the exact same stains that my neighbor and now I am getting on my pebble pool surface. These pictures show it perfectly.

I have maintained my pools PH between 7.4 and 7.8.

I have been told that a Jandy spot cleaner will do the trick but what causes this and are there other preventive measures?

My

Update on my issue- FrustratedPoolmom you rock! My brown spots not only faded but are gone altogether. I have seen this suggestion before but honestly thought it was bogus. Are than any negative issues with using vitamin C on your pebble? Also, do we know the cause?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.