Introduction and Questions (of course)

qbot

Jun 8, 2010
Central WA
Greetings.

Last year, the wife and I (and 3 y/o) purchased a home with a circa 1980s in-ground gunite pool. For the most part, the pool is in pretty good shape, although some of the gunite has cracked and the paint is wearing off. Since we didn't move in until summer last year, I didn't open the pool--I just got to enjoy the spoils throughout the summer. To my surprise, I kept the pool pretty well balanced throughout the summer although my levels of CYA were high by the end of summer. The pool guy told me to drain it further down than I normally would when I close it. I did. Now my CYA levels are around 50ppm. I look forward to trying out the BBB method once I have time to sit down and fully understand it. I am very glad that I stumbled upon this site

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find elsewhere on the board.

1) Despite it's name, my whisperflo pump is not too quiet. I constructed a box that fits around it and put carpet remnants inside to muffle the noise. Yesterday when I checked on it, I noticed that it was pretty warm in the box (but not hot). I would ventilate it more, but that'd defeat the purpose of the box. Is this a bad thing to do?

2) Our solar blanket that came with the pool was in bad shape so I purchased a 12mm blue one from intheswim.com I also purchased fehrguard straps. Is there a good resource to help me attach the straps to the crank? The crank last year was situated across the back third of the pool and it seemed to work out well. Is this the best spot for the crank or do some have it at the end?

3) This is a question that I posed in another section but didn't receive much of a response: When putting in the diverter valve (twinkie) last weekend, I noticed that one of the two screws holding it down had broken off in the screw sleeve in the skimmer. The skimmer is older plastic, the screw is pretty much flush with the bottom of the skimmer (maybe a little nub sticking up) and it's about 12" below the pool deck , so drilling it out would be very difficult and I wouldn't want to crack the skimmer plastic. My pool guy guru said I don't need the twinkie and I can have the drain pipe and pump/filter pipe naked in the skimmer. But doing that would only circulate the top of the pool and the circulation from the bottom would be negligible unless I throw the vacuum hose down there. Are there different ideas? Should I use silicone and the one remaining screw to see if I can get a good seal on the twinkie? I appreciate any thoughts.

Anyhow, I've written too much. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 45
Your pump may need bearings. Is there air in the strainer basket or is it completely full of water? Sometimes they will be noisy if they are pumping any air.

I'd hesitate to enclose the pump. They crank out a bunch of heat.

I think you are talking about a skimmer diverter, and it primarily is used to control flow from the drain or allow flow from the drain if the water drops below the skimmer. The skimmer will draw from the drain without it.

Your solar reel will need to be in a spot where the pool is full width, or close to it. Otherwise you won't be able to attach the straps.

Thanks for the answers. There is a little bubble in the strainer basket compartment, but it's about the size of a silver dollar and appears just to hang out on the top. Is this normal?

Is it difficult to replace the bearings (or check to see if needs to be done)?

The air bubble indicates a minor air leak or flow restriction on the pump suction side. Applying pool lube to the strainer basket O-ring will often fix it.

A motor shop can do the bearings pretty quickly and easily. If you talk to one, let them know you'd like to have a quick turn-around because it's for the pool and they might do it same day for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.