Curses! What's eating all my leaves!?

Our serial killer cat catches 2 or 3 chipmunks a day. Fake owls work for a few days until they figure out they don't move. We used them in the marina to scare away seagulls. After a couple days, the seagulls were perched on top of them.

Well, an update for anyone who cares: I've successfully eradicated the local chipmunk population :twisted:
I used to see chipmunks all over the yard at all times of the day; now I haven't seen any (alive) since last weekend. I lost count somewhere around 10; the total is probably about 20. The hibiscus leaves are coming back in nicely. The traps are now retired, since I started catching other things in them, including an actual rat (yuck), a rather large toad (blech!), and a flat-tailed horned lizard (double blech!).
So, for the more heartless and thick-skinned among us, rat traps will take care of it. Just keep your fingers out of them! :hammer:

edit: looked up correct lizard name!

We've caught a couple of Carolina Wrens in snap Rat Traps. :cry: We have a pair that nests in a little wren basket right outside the front door. It wasn't them, thank goodness, but was a supper bummer anyway.

Glad the hibiscus is recovering. In the long run it may have actually benefited the plant; a little pruning.

gg=alice

Melt In The Sun said:
Well, an update for anyone who cares: I've successfully eradicated the local chipmunk population :twisted:
So, you gonna throw the chipmunks on the grill? :twisted: Never had barbequed chipmunk before. Might be tasty. :lol: Kind of doubt the toad or the rat would be very good. Not sure about the lizard. It might not be too bad, but then I don't know much about lizards. :D

TimS said:
So, you gonna throw the chipmunks on the grill? :twisted: Never had barbequed chipmunk before. Might be tasty. :lol: Kind of doubt the toad or the rat would be very good. Not sure about the lizard. It might not be too bad, but then I don't know much about lizards. :D

Tim, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it! I am 100% sure it would have grossed my wife out of existence. The chipmunks are a bit small (about 2 bites apiece), so I didn't think it would be worth it. The rat was actually quite large (maybe a half pound). The lizard would probably hurt a little going down; it looked like this:[attachment=0:2f222kj7]PHRMCA-2004.jpg[/attachment:2f222kj7]

Attachments

• PHRMCA-2004.jpg
    PHRMCA-2004.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 71
Four winters ago we had 10K damage to our three vehicles from the Woods Rats. The truck needed a whole complete wiring harness. We had lived here 20 years, at the time, and never had any damage. Other neighbors had damage too. We now park the cars out away from the house with hoods always raised. Lots of cloth bags filled with moth balls under the cars, used cat litter from neighbors cats, 409 sprayed everywhere possible. Haven't had any appreciable damage to autos since. Two winters DH put a bunch of rat traps around each vehicle. After catching a couple they learned to avoid the traps.

Our Woods Rats get about the size of juvenile squirrels. They are really quite cute with rounded noses, big eyes and big round ears, buff color with white belly. BUT they do a lot of damage to all kinds of things. They even come out during the day and I occasionally see them on the deck. They are, also, pack rats. It's really interesting to find a nest that is partially dried dog poop; nest about 24" in diameter. Usually has missing dog toys too.

The Norway rats are the ones we get in the garage. They are the grey ones that are regular rat ugly. That's why we like having a resident Rat Snake in the garage.

Our lizards get so tame they occasionally get stepped on by a Mastiff. They don't live long after that.

Squirrels are supposed to be really good if they are dressed properly and deep fried. Lots of people in east Texas hunt them. I've had rattlesnake and it is really good. Shoot, I'd eat just about anything if I was hungry enough. In east Texas some people trap feral hogs and then feed them corn before slaughter. Otherwise the meat doesn't taste as good. I've been told that what the squirrels eat makes a difference too. With all the bird feed the "rodents" eat out here they should taste really good. But we certainly aren't about to eat our pet squirrels and doves.

I've been approached several times by people who want to train their birds of prey out here. No way. BTW.... many of our squirrels are almost obese from all the seeds and corn they eat.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
svenpup said:
Melt In The Sun said:
TimS said:
...Never had barbequed chipmunk before. Might be tasty. :lol: Kind of doubt the toad or the rat would be very good. Not sure about the lizard. It might not be too bad, but then I don't know much about lizards. :D

I Wish I Was In Tijuana, Eating Barbequed Iguana...

Anthony Bourdain (No Reservations - Travel Channel) says that Iguana is one of the worst thing he has ever eaten.

gg=alice

Jeeze doesn't take long for some people to get into the shoot shovel and shutup conversations. I thought this forum was about respect. For petes sake buy another 5$ hibiscus and don't kill half the local wildlife. I'm surprised no one suggested poison bait or fish hook meat patties. Pests can be dealt with but please show respect and proper restraint. I'm feeling disgust and little bit of shame. My kids love chipmunks and at this stage respect life. What happens to people.
I suggest the moderators shut this thread down. It is getting ugly.

buss said:
Jeeze doesn't take long for some people to get into the shoot shovel and shutup conversations. I thought this forum was about respect. For petes sake buy another 5$ hibiscus and don't kill half the local wildlife. I'm surprised no one suggested poison bait or fish hook meat patties. Pests can be dealt with but please show respect and proper restraint. I'm feeling disgust and little bit of shame. My kids love chipmunks and at this stage respect life. What happens to people.
I suggest the moderators shut this thread down. It is getting ugly.

Wow - I never would've thought of fishhook meat patties. Thanks for the idea! :goodjob:

FYI if you're living in the desert or having a drought, animals like chipmunks or squirrels will chew on leaves to get moisture. Just my 2 cents worth. Try placing a pan full of water but then you're just helping them lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.