Run pump while raining cats and frogs?

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
FINALLY! Getting some rain here in East Texas. Problem is----just too much at one time. Gonna end up having drained 5 inches from rainfall over the past two days. Question is, is there any point in the running the pump when you have an all day rain or 2 day rain set in? Also, I haven't added chemicals in 2 days because I figured I'd just end up draining most of the bleach and stuff anyhow. What can I expect from my pool numbers when I no longer need a life preserver to go check them?

Even when it is raining I still run out and get water to test and continue to make sure I keep the chlorine level up. I would rather get wet than let my chlorine go down and get algae started.

What she said. :)

You figure that even at draining 5" that's not a big percentage of the total pool volume. It's enough that you'll need to compensate for it but not enough to totally mess it up. You do need to keep testing and adding Chlorine or risk an outbreak.

We just had an enormous amount of rain in eastern PA, enough to overflow the pool at the skimmer (it's an AGP). I use the free water to run several backwash and rinse cycles, then set the filter to recirculate. I do not run any tests but I do add some bleach, just because.

I always keep the pump running if it's raining, unless we are having bad thunderstorms where the electricity might go out. We just had a lot of rain here and like AnnaK, I use the extra water to backwash my filter.

Ditto on running pump (but my pump runs, on low, 21/7 anyway, except faster when vac cleaner running for two hours), adding bleach, and using excess for backwash. Sometimes a lot of organics and dust/dirt carried in the rain, will go into the pool during storms, calling for extra chlorine.

Hey... send some of that East Texas rain over Dallas way please. We got 1/2" couple of nights ago, and very grateful for but all it's doing now is teasing us. :rant: At least the temps are staying low, hovering around 90, and getting down in low 70s at night; felt like fall last night.

gg=alice

Most of it came down so hard and fast and ran off so there's not much left to send! Instead of just settling the dirt around my new pool-----it plum sunk a lot of it. A veritable flood. At least my shovels got washed off for the next round of dirt slinging.

woodyp said:
Most of it came down so hard and fast and ran off so there's not much left to send! Instead of just settling the dirt around my new pool-----it plum sunk a lot of it. A veritable flood. At least my shovels got washed off for the next round of dirt slinging.

Typical Texas "toad choker". That's why I get so excited when we have the very rare "rain" instead of inches in an hour (with gale force winds). Flash flooding is almost always to be expected because it comes down too fast to soak in.

It tried to rain most of the day but didn't. At least it stayed just under 90 F. When we have a 40%-60% chance of rain it usually does not rain but teases the whole time. 10 miles north, south, or west, may get 5", though, with tornado warnings while we have sunshine. A couple of weeks ago a tornado touched down just 7 miles south of us. Hardly any clouds or wind here and no rain. Freaky. :scratch:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.