What type of Sanitation System for New Pool

Jun 10, 2010
I am setting up 13x21 foot Legacy soft side pool and would like feedback from the forum re: what type of sanitation procedure is best (i.e., ionizer; salt water; chlorine, etc.)

Thanks.

burt4750

Welcome to TFP Burt.

Throw the ionizer out of the mix and the choice is yours! I use the Liquidator to inject chlorine but you can manually dose it or use a pump to inject it or add salt and have a SWCG generate it. It's really your preference. liquid chlorine (bleach) and a SWCG works out to be about the same cost over the life of the pool.

The first thing to do is read Pool School and learn what it's all about. Then make your descision.

Welcome to TFP Burt. Ionizers generally do not work on their own.

Salt and Chlorine are the same, and I would recommend either. A salt pool is a Chlorine pool. You would use a Saltwater Chlorine generator to make chlorine from the salt in your pool. I would suggest you read through pool school (button on top right of page) and that will certainly help you make a more informed decision. :goodjob:

edit...sorry Bama, beat me to it, but you can see we share the same thoughts :goodjob:

I just wanted to comment that salt water chlorination systems are the "in thing" at the moment, the pool industry like many others go through trends, some stay around some don't. I am not personally convinced that salt water generators are the cheaper option, it is a matter of trading equipment for consumable chemicals. It is also important to understand how both systems work:

With traditional chlorine systems you add a chemical chlorine compound into the water, depending on type this breaks down into chlorine and salt, chlorine and calcium, or chlorine and CYA stabilizer, balancing the levels of all of the above is important.

A Salt water pool requires adding often hundred of pounds of salt to the water, then when it is being pumped through the filter it goes through an additional device that passing an electrical current through the water breaking the salt down into sodium and chlorine the chlorine does its part in the sanitation and some of it recombines to make salt again.

Issac...SWGs have been in use 40+ years :goodjob: They have become more affordable and popular over the past 10-15 years. No one is arguing that it may not be the most economical source of chlorination, but it is a great option and helps you avoid lugging jugs of liquid chlorine around. Using liquid chlorine or the use of a SWG to chlorinate vs other sources (trichlor tabs/Dichlor/CalHypo) is by far preferred as it does little to affect other chemical levels in your pool.

As you mentioned either will not affect CH or CYA. Excess CH can lead to calium scale issues, while high CYA will overstabilize the pool.

Besides the initial up front cost of an SWG, which appears to even out in costs, over time, (and I want to get some automation in so money would go there first) the only thing that would keep me from going SWG is backwashing salted water into my very alkaline woods, the only place I have to dump water, unless it is put back in to pool. Many people, though, have the option to send water to sewer or can backwash to different locations. And most people don't need to backwash as much as I do either, so in most cases, the salt going to one area over and over for years, is not a concern.

Otherwise there are just too many people who love their SWG systems, to argue against them. I'm considering the liquid chlorine Liquidator, though. They are very inexpensive upfront.

gg=alice

dmanb2b said:
Issac...SWGs have been in use 40+ years :goodjob: They have become more affordable and popular over the past 10-15 years. No one is arguing that it may not be the most economical source of chlorination, but it is a great option and helps you avoid lugging jugs of liquid chlorine around. Using liquid chlorine or the use of a SWG to chlorinate vs other sources (trichlor tabs/Dichlor/CalHypo) is by far preferred as it does little to affect other chemical levels in your pool.

As you mentioned either will not affect CH or CYA. Excess CH can lead to calium scale issues, while high CYA will overstabilize the pool.

I did not mean to imply anyone here is pushing SWG systems as an economic advantage, however out in the real world it seems there is a trend of selling SWG as better and cheaper in the long run, without mentioning the upkeep costs, etc.

Ike.

Salt systems for AGP's are reasonable. That's what we are running. Once you have done your research at pool school and weighed your pros and cons check out nationalpoolwholesalers.com. They have a very good selection of filtration systems and I cannot find anyone to beat their prices not even walmart.com. Oh yeah, shipping is free.

Good luck...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.