Am I done shocking? If yes, now what?

plucky71

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
I'm wondering if I am done shocking. Here are my current test results as of this a.m.

FC 22.5
CC .5
TC 23
PH 7.3
TA 70
CH 100

Last nights FC was 23.5

The pool does look clear to me. However I have only seen it as black/green in the past.

My test results from Monday (3 days ago) were:

fc 0
ph 7.2
ta 50
ch 130
cya 50

So with a cya of 50 I have been targeting 20. I always seem to hit a little high so I'm wondering if my pool size calc. of 12,000 is a little high.
Anyway, if I am done, now what? I will be using liquid bleach for my sanitizer. Here are the pool school recommended levels:

Fiberglass with Bleach

FC 3-7
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 220-320
CYA 30-50

Should I raise my pH and CH now? Is my TA o.k. at 70? I will retest my CYA when the FC is down to normal.

Thank you all so much for your help. As a first time pool owner this forum has been such a blessing to me.

If you did not add bleach after last nights test results then yes, I would say you were finished shocking. I think the pH is o.k., but check it again when the FC is at normal levels. TA is o.k., CYA won't change due to FC levels, so CYA of 50 is the high end of o.k.

It appears that, like zea3 said, you're technically done, but (isn't there always a but?) I'd hold shock level again today and perform the overnight test again tonight just to make sure. Being sure to test after dark tonight and before suns up in the morning. Post the numbers as well as the times you tested.

Here are the latest numbers. I tested last night at 10 pm and this morning at 6 am.

FC last night 14
FC this am 14
CC this am 1.0
TC 15

So, what do you think. Should I stop the shock process?

Thank you.

Yes, it's ok to add calcium while shocking. Mix it in a 5 gal bucket of pool water and pour it slowly in near the return. It'll get pretty warm when mixing. Use a plastic or wooden stick to stir it with.

Since you lost no FC during the night you're real close to being done and this part requires the most POP. Hang in there and do the overnight test again tonight and post the results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming that plucky's pool is the white one in their avatar, is cobalt staining an issue with white fiberglass pools? I thought the cobalt staining was a result of the cobalt-containing dyes used to color fiberglass pools blue.

Melt In The Sun said:
Assuming that plucky's pool is the white one in their avatar, is cobalt staining an issue with white fiberglass pools? I thought the cobalt staining was a result of the cobalt-containing dyes used to color fiberglass pools blue.
From what I have read over the years, (especially waterbear's posts as he has a white fiberglass pool), cobalt spotting ( and iron stains) occur more easily with lower CH levels.

I am pretty sure that MBAR (Marie, the stain nazi :) )also has a white fiberglass pool and also maintains a higher CH level for the same reason.
She is the author of the stain removal AA treatment in Pool School. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.