Tips on installing new pump needed

stavs

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2010
I'm replacing my old pump and was looking for some tips to make the process go a bit smoother and dryer. Right now nothing is plumbed with valves. It is plumped with a flex hose from the skimmer to the pump, then from the pump it goes to the filter, and then out to the return in the pool. I figure with the skimmer to pump hose, I can unhook that and promptly put the flex hose in the pool leaving me with minimal wetness. Any other tips for staying dry are welcome.

I also ordered two valves (http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... all-Valve/) , but am not sure where to connect them. Should I install one at the pump, or the skimmer base? Also, should the other be at the filter end or the pool end? What other parts would I need to do this correctly-ie, will the unions just screw in to the pump (Powerflo Matrix) and the filter (Hayward s180t).

Thanks!

Here's how I would do it. I'd install one of the valves near the skimmer and the other one near the return. Then I'd install a union near the pump suction and one near the filter discharge. That would make any future maintenance easy.

To keep the water loss/flow to a minimum this time you can buy rubber sink stoppers at your local Wally-World or home center stores and plug the skimmer and return line so you don't lose a lot of water when you remove the hoses. You could also use winterizing plugs if you have them.

Bama Rambler said:
Here's how I would do it. I'd install one of the valves near the skimmer and the other one near the return. Then I'd install a union near the pump suction and one near the filter discharge. That would make any future maintenance easy.

To keep the water loss/flow to a minimum this time you can buy rubber sink stoppers at your local Wally-World or home center stores and plug the skimmer and return line so you don't lose a lot of water when you remove the hoses. You could also use winterizing plugs if you have them.

Thanks for the tip! When you say a union, what do you mean? Picture would be great iof possible :)

Ok...another stupid question. I have the valves and I have the unions (proper ones as listed from HD). I am using clear tubing everywhere except the skimmer (flex hose). I am assuming I do not need to use the clamps with the unions and valves since I slip the tubing on and the joints on the fittings lock in the tubing (right?). Is this correct? I'm at work and trying to visualize this before I get home and start working on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.