The Pool Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone post the formula for increasing the FC levels. I use the pool calculator but would like to create a chart for my pool to post by the chemicals. I printed the CYA/ FC chart. thanks

A good rule of thumb is that one gallon of 6% bleach will raise 10,000 gallons by 6 ppm. Extending that to different size pools and different desired FC increases is fairly simple.

<amount of 6% bleach to add in oz> = (<desired FC increase>/6) * (<gallons>/10000) * 128

I added the Pool Calculator App to my I-touch and I love it!!!It is so much easier just to plug in the numbers while your testing the water. So worth the money. I was also able to help out a friend who was having problems with his pool chemistry; you will soon see him on here too. :lol:

smileddog said:
is there anyway to download the poolcalculator to your desktop? so i dont have to log onto the internet each time to enter my #'s. sometimes I dont have the laptop on and it can be a pain,
Yes. The exact command varies a little between web browsers, essentially you go to the Pool Calculator and then save the current page, either as a web archive or as an .html file. That saved file can then be loaded into your browser even when you don't have an Internet connection.

And there is also the iPhone version.

Minor Web PC UI bug report and feature request...

I encountered a minor bug in the web version of the Pool Calc this evening that had me severely puzzled for a while... It is what I would class as a "User Interface Bug" rather than a functional issue.

When I was punching in my test values, I accidentally fat fingered it, and entered my TA as 1100 instead of 110 :oops: Because the data window only shows 3 digits, the extra zero didn't show, but my calculated CSI went to 1.1 :shock: and the reason didn't show until I noticed that the advice window was telling me how to adjust the value given a TA of 1100... Would it be possible to either increase the size of the data window to 4 digits (like the CYA window) so that the error will show, or pop up an error box if too many digits are entered? - Note that similar issues may exist for the other value windows as well... As I said, this isn't a functional problem, as presumably the program made the right calculation given the bad input, but ideal user interface design should make it as easy to spot bad inputs as possible...

The feature request relates to a minor annoyance with the Pool Calc... Every time I restart my browser and go to the PC, I have to reinput the size of my pool, and all the other variable data like surface type, value set, etc..., along w/ the current values for all the test results that don't really change like borates and CYA... Not a huge problem, but a bit of a PITA to do every time... Would it be possible to do something like stick the values into one or more persistent cookies or some such item (maybe a user id and a database on your end?) so that the calc will "automagically" preload the correct values?

Gooserider

Re: Minor Web PC UI bug report and feature request...

Gooserider said:
I encountered a minor bug in the web version of the Pool Calc this evening that had me severely puzzled for a while... It is what I would class as a "User Interface Bug" rather than a functional issue.

When I was punching in my test values, I accidentally fat fingered it, and entered my TA as 1100 instead of 110 :oops: Because the data window only shows 3 digits, the extra zero didn't show, but my calculated CSI went to 1.1 :shock: and the reason didn't show until I noticed that the advice window was telling me how to adjust the value given a TA of 1100... Would it be possible to either increase the size of the data window to 4 digits (like the CYA window) so that the error will show, or pop up an error box if too many digits are entered? - Note that similar issues may exist for the other value windows as well... As I said, this isn't a functional problem, as presumably the program made the right calculation given the bad input, but ideal user interface design should make it as easy to spot bad inputs as possible...

The feature request relates to a minor annoyance with the Pool Calc... Every time I restart my browser and go to the PC, I have to reinput the size of my pool, and all the other variable data like surface type, value set, etc..., along w/ the current values for all the test results that don't really change like borates and CYA... Not a huge problem, but a bit of a PITA to do every time... Would it be possible to do something like stick the values into one or more persistent cookies or some such item (maybe a user id and a database on your end?) so that the calc will "automagically" preload the correct values?

Gooserider

I have to re-enter info too??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will add larger input fields to the wish list.

The current settings are saved in a cookie. That should work unless you have cookies disabled. Some web browsers always disable cookies for pages loaded from your local machine, so if you saved a copy of the page to your local drive and are using that, it might not work.

JasonLion said:
I will add larger input fields to the wish list.
Thanks...
The current settings are saved in a cookie. That should work unless you have cookies disabled. Some web browsers always disable cookies for pages loaded from your local machine, so if you saved a copy of the page to your local drive and are using that, it might not work.
Ahh... Thanks for that info - I didn't know that it was saving a cookie so I hadn't actally looked. Since you mentioned it, I just checked my site specific settings and found that I had Opera set to "delete new cookies on exit" :hammer: I have cleared that setting, now the only restriction on cookies from the pool calc is only to accept cookies from the site visited... Will see if that solves the problem.

Gooserider

great iPhone App! nice job. use it almost every week.

-->> Feature Request: add capability to support multiple pools. I help my neighbor with her pool (she's elderly). would be nice to have both my pool data and her pool data right at my finger tips.

Just as a minor update, I have restarted my browser a couple of times since fixing the cookie setting as suggested in my earlier post, and it seems to now be holding my settings and numbers appropriately - so not a problem for me any longer.

Checking for proper cookie handling definitely seems like one of the first things to check if there are any data retention issues...

Gooserider

I had tried to get to the Pool Calculator from my Palm Centro and it wouldn't work correctly. So I took the formulas and put them into a spreadsheet that I can view from Documents to go.

This isn't as inclusive as the website, but it suits my needs. If I need to double check something I go to the website. This spreadsheet calculates Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, Calcium Chloride and Stabilizer only. It calculates Bleach by oz and the rest by weight. If you use it, you will need to put in the Gallons and Bleach %.

Forgot to mention, it should work on a pc/laptop as well as long as you have something that can open up MS Excel spreadsheets.

Hope others find this useful.

Attachments

• CalculateChems.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 70

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.