80-yr. old pool: bond question

genespleen

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2010
Hi folks,

I'm moving towards installing the pump and filter on the Very Old Pool my fiancée and I will be acquiring with our new house. (Link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/renovation-on-the-quick-side-t22515.html

A problem: I know that the safest system is one in which all the metal surfaces and concrete within 5 or so feet of the pool are joined in a bond loop that also reaches the pump. But I cannot imagine that my pool was built with anything like a bond loop (after all, the pool was built in 1930). There's nothing "fancy" in my pool--no lights, no heating system, etc. But there is a built-in ladder composed of 4 rebar "loops," anchored in the pool wall at the shallow end. At the top of the ladder, there are two handles, built the same way.

So my question--and perhaps this should be in the Construction, Renovation section: can I create a bond loop that will provide some greater safety, given the likelihood that I don't have a grid at all?

best,
David

Figuring that back when they built that pool they most likely did a 100% tie on all the rebar if you could access a piece of the rebar in the shell or in the deck you could test the continuity between there and all the exposed metal surfaces and I bet they're all connected. Just bond a wire from there to the pump, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.