How do you measure bleach?

I guesstimate with bleach. I use 182oz jugs of 6% bleach, and I typically shoot for the nearest 1/4 jug or so and always a little on the heavy side. Even if I overshoot by a whole 1/4 jug, it is only ~1ppm in my 17,500 gallon pool. No biggie.

It is more important to measure with other chemicals...especially ones that don't get used up, such as calcium and cyanuric acid.

I also use a one gallon plastic pitcher. I like it because i don't get the "glug... glug ...splash" that you can sometimes get if you pour too fast out of a gallon jug and it's more accurate.

Bleach I use the 1/4 jug guess system. For LC, which I use more often, I have to pour from 5 gal. container. I have a plastic pitcher marked for 1 ppm and .5 ppm FC. Kinda makes PoolCalculator unnecessary for FC (although I used it for drawing the lines). Since my LC is 12%, the same lines work for bleach, if you divide by two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can only get so close with the calculated additions anyway. There will always be inaccuracies in the estimated volume of the pool, and some leeway in the CYA results, so the recommendations of the calculator are good, but only as good as the accuracy of all of the input numbers. There is nothing wrong with measuring, and I've done my fair share of it, but the only sure way to know the outcome of what you're adding is to use your test kit to measure it after it's added to know for sure what it did.

Ultimately, you develop a feel for what your pool needs and you don't have to measure so accurately, you'll just "know".

Being that I'm new to maintaining my own pool and haven't quite gotten the 'bug' for extreme accuracy, so here's how I'm doing it.

For me, simplicity is the key. I need to be able to eyeball it. I purchase those 2.5 gallon yellow chlorine jugs from the store. Each one of those is 320 oz which equals 80 oz x 4. I won't even bother adding chlorine to my pool unless it needs at least 1/4 jug, or 80 oz. Then, I'll only add chlorine rounded up to the nearest 1/4 jug. This way, it's fairly easy to eyball it and even if I'm over/off by a 1/4 jug, it won't have too much affect on things. Again, simplicity is key for me.

Also, I live in South Florida and have a LOT of evaporation and rain. This keeps things changing fast enough where being off by a 1/4 jug here or there wont have any lasting effects.

I hope I don't get slammed for what I just wrote.

Thanks for the replies. That pretty much tracks with what I've been doing; i.e. guessing to the nearest 1/4 gallon, maybe a little on the high side. I'll post my numbers tomorrow and maybe someone can verify that I'm on the right track. Great site; I'm learning a lot here!

I took a gal. water jug and measured a 1/2 gal.which is at the top of the sticker on the jug..Have a funnel to pure from bleach jug to other.I keep the water jug feeled with a 1/2 all the time so you can just stick in the water and delute with water in pool &then poor out.Work's very well...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.