Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
After the 1000 year flood I had to get my water back in order. Added salt to get to (according to strips) 3240ppm. My Pro Logic thinks I only have 2600ppm. How ,if any, does this affect my SWCG??? Last year I only had to run it at about 10-15% and this year I am running it at 20% and barely keeping my chlorine at minimum. Same pump run time. Does the cell have to work harder when it things there is only that much salt???

If you haven't already, give the salt 24 hours to mix in and register on the display.

Chlorine usage varies through the season, so I wouldn't nessicarily expect the percentage setting to be the same as it was at a different time of year last year.

A few brands of SWG vary their output depending on the salt level, most of them don't. Water temperature is also important.

I put the salt in about a month ago. After the flood it had dropped to 2300ppm per Pro Logic. I put in 120lbs. of salt. My strips were spot on showing an increase up to 3240ppm. Just don't understand why PL didn't budge but 300ppm. I don't have any flashing lights or anything. I can see the volts and amps but they mean nothing to me :? I guess I'm just thinking it's having to use more volts or amps to produce the chlorine. Heck, I don't know :hammer:
Water temp has been in mid 80's.
Just stick with what the strips say unless I start getting low salt indication?????

Hi Lynn :wave:

The units 'read' +/- 500 ppm on salt. Yours is a bit off that, but I can't recall the variance on the strips, so you may well be within the 'zone'.

I, personally, would add a little more salt so that the unit shows ~ 3000 (even if the strips say you are at ~3600). The unit will only produce if it 'thinks' it has enough salt and even 3600 is within operating range for your unit. Trust the unit's 'guess' as to the salinity, as long as it produces chlorine, and only worry about a problem if you know the reading is off by ~1000 ppm.

As for the need to turn up the output on the unit, with all that rain a LOT more organic material has been washed into the pool - are you experiencing higher CCs recently?

Add some more salt and get out there and enjoy your beautiful pool! :cheers:

SWGs will read lower salt levels when dirty so double check the cell for calcium.

Also, I find that the Taylor drop kit matches my Aqualogic within a 100 ppm but the salt strips tend to read high by at least 500 ppm whenever I use them so I don't use them anymore.

How long have you had the cell?

Hey Ted, hope you're doing well.
I haven't had any increase in CCs. I might do as Mark has suggested and get some salt test drops. Didn't know they were out there.

Mark, I started up this pool July of last year. So the cell probably has 6=8 months of use. Sooner or later I'm going to have to get the nerve to look at that cell. It's an intimidating task for me. I don't like messing with the plumbing. I'm going to get some of the drops. I might add some more salt and see what the unit reads.

Thanks guys. :)

You should use a drop test for salt. My SWG does not read the salt constantly. It only takes readings periodicly from what I can tell. It eventually gets very close to my test with the drops. The SWG operates based on how much salt "it" thinks is in the pool. It doesn't care what "your" readings are :)

If the SWG does not agree with your test results in 24 hours you may have a problem with your SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.