Hard crusty algae on vinyl liner

Jun 22, 2009
I have been dealing with hard crusty algae on the sides and bottom of our pool for some time now. I have been keeping the FC at 14-16 and PH at 7.2-7.4 for some time now, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. All the other algae in the pool is gone now except for this crusty stuff. It is a light greenish yellow color, and the only way I have been able to remove it is to scrape it off with my finger nail. We even bought Scotch Brite pads, but they really don't remove it very easily either. Plus, I'm scared of them scratching the liner. Anyway, has anyone else dealt with algae like this? If so, what can I do to get rid of it?

Attachments

• P6090001.JPG
    P6090001.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 192
Not that I know of, but the pool was already set up when we bought the house. According to what I've read, calcium generally isn't a big concern in vinyl-sided pools. I've read that as long as it is kept under 300, it's ok. That could definitely be wrong, though.

As zea3's been hinting, it sounds like calcium scale. Saying that calcium isn't a concern in vinyl pools is only half true; LOW calcium is not a problem, but HIGH calcium always is, no matter what the surface.

If your pH got really high, with your numbers you could easily deposit scale. I could be just imagining it, but in your picture I can almost see little brownish-whitish specks on the side, which is how calcium scale often looks.

Usually on vinyl if the scale is fresh, maintaining a low ph for a couple weeks and brushing with a nylon (vinyl pool) brush can help it release...

Pool stores sell "scale treatment" but I don't know anything about their effectiveness.

Try keeping your PH at 7.0-7.2 for a several days and see if it has any effect when you brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.