Plaster Pool with Half Dollar Size Holes (HELP)!!

I finally get my water balance under control using the BBB method, thanks to you guys for the help of course! :-D , but now I have what I think to be a real problem! Last year I had the pool surface redone and and painted using that olympia rubber based paint. Pool wasn't used much last year after it was finished because it was the end of the summer. So the pool dude just threw the cover on and that was it for last year. Except for opening the pool this year, everything has been operating smoothly. Then about 3 days ago I discovered a real soft spot on the pool floor about the size of a 10 in pizza. When stepped on you can feel it mushy like water has gotten under it. Then today, my wife shows me 2 half dollar size holes in the same place where it was soft. Does this need to be tended to immediately? Does my pool need to be drained to alleviate any further damage? Or is it something that can wait to be fixed? I think that the stuff never cured properly because all I ever find is paint chips in my pump strainer basket and I vacuum them up all the time too. Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Al.

How many coats of paint were used? I usually use 3 with chlorinated rubber based paint. Even then, results are only fair and it lasts only a couple of years. Some paint annually.

Was it painted before? If so, was it also with rubber based paint? Most paint types cannot be mixed, i.e. rubber and acrylic and epoxy, without stripping off the old first.

Stripping is done using either a sand blaster(fast but makes a huge mess) or hydro-blasting with at least a 3500 psi power washer at close range.

Scott

I know it got 2 coats of paint. I also think I can touch the concrete when I stick my finger in the hole. I am in the process of having someone come look at it, but it could be a week before anyone can. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse and there isn't any other mushy or soft spots extending from the two holes. I have a feeling that it will eventually get worse as the water seeps under the holes, but hopefully I have someone look at it before then

I hate to beat a dead horse, but start saving up for a new plaster job. Paint is just not a reliable alternative to swimming pools.

You may be able to patch this up, but I guarantee you will be getting more "soft spots" as time goes on. Plus, you are going to have patches (that will not match) in your pool, and you just had this done :evil:

I hate to hear this stuff, since you spent good money (and time) on the paint job, but they are not reliable. Save for plaster and get it done when you can.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Bruce, preaching to the choir on that but some have to. It happens.I hope he has an extra gallon from the paint job.

Scott

I know, and I agree. It just seems like a vicious cycle to me. Maybe at some point paying for the patches equals the price of plaster, and you still have paint. I'd just like to see some folks get off of that merry-go-round, if possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.