Which pump to use?

Feb 18, 2010
Houston, TX
As some of you here already know, I recently got a used AGP. It came with a 1HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix (single speed), and a Hayward 166t sand filter. I plan on upgrading to the 244t at the beginning of next year (maybe sooner but I doubt it).

From the little I understand about flow rates and such, I think this pump is too big for the filter. I also have a 2 speed 2HP pump on my hot tub. So my question is, would it be better to use the 1HP or the 2HP 2 speed on the pool? If you need more information, I'll try to get whatever I can.

Thanks everyone!

I certainly would recommend a larger filter, but the 166t isn't out of the question or anything like that.

The 2 HP two speed pump on low speed will use significantly less electricity than the 1 HP on it's one speed and work better with the filter.

Ideally you want a larger filter and a 1 HP two speed, but various other combinations will work acceptably.

So do you think the Hayward will work okay until I upgrade the filter? I just want to make sure it's not so oversized that it will blow stuff through the filter back into the pool. If it will work okay for now, I won't bother switching them out. I don't care about the electricity costs, after all our bill more than doubles :shock: when we put up Christmas lights and I just deal with it.

Thanks Jason, and anyone else who answers.

Your current set-up will work fine for now and is not far from typical pool store set-ups...ie oversized pump and undersized filter, but is not optimal. The s244 (300lb), may be a little overkil but by far good enogh. I have the S220t (250lb) and a 0.5hp pump, two solar panels and intex swg and no long runs. Good flow and I backwashed 3 times last season. Like jason said a 1hp 2-speed would be your best bet if you go with the 244T.

Hope that helps :goodjob:

Thanks dman, helps a lot. The 244t may be overkill, but no one here ever wishes they would've went smaller! :lol: Besides, I have a lot of time to make up my mind, so I may end up going with the 220t instead. But like I said, not until the beg. of next year. I want to replace the pump sooner, but I may just get them together.

Anyways, thanks for clearing that up. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.