Shock first? Or raise alkalinity?

Miki79

Jun 3, 2010
Hi. I've almost got everything in order. I'm still reading CC 1.5 so from what I've read I need to shock the pool. Do I do this first? My pH and TA is reading a little low so I was going to add baking soda to the skimmer to raise it. Also, what is bromax for? Do I need to add some to the pool? My readings this evening were FC 7
CC 1.5
TA 60
pH 7.0ish(still hard for me to read)
I didn't test CYA. Thanks!

Borax raises PH. I would leave your PH and TA alone for now, test your CYA and once you know that you can shock the pool. Read How to Shock Your Pool in Pool School - you can't shock properly if you don't know the CYA level.

Anytime you add the baking soda just add it into the deep end of the pool while the filter is on.
Bring your cya up to the correct level, shock, and then balance the ph & alk.

I dnt use borates, but i thought you guys added it to prevent algea not bring up the ph??

20 Mule Team Borax is the correct additive when you want to raise pH but leave the TA virtually unmoved.

It is also used in conjunction with muriatic acid when you want to add borates to your pool water.

These two procedures accomplish different objectives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.