Sand In The Pool

ted13b

May 25, 2010
I have an inground vinyl liner pool, about 20k gallons. It has a Hayward DE filter, clear water, and chlorine and PH look good. The strange thing is that I'm getting sand at the bottom of the pool. It's tan/brown, gritty and granular, so it's def not algae. I've cleaned it out a couple of times, but it comes back in a few days. Any idea where it's coming from?

From your description, it sounds like pool filter sand. Put a "catch bag" made from nylon hose or something similar over your returns and see if you can catch it at the return coming into the pool. That'll confirm or deny it's from the filter.

No, there's a concrete deck around the pool, no sand. That's what has me so puzzled. Is it possible that algae or something organic is combining with the DE to make a sand-like substance that's ending up in the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.